Splitter

Im a bit confused… ive been told 2 different things about the splitter. is it supposed to spin forward or backward? :?

there seems to be a lot of controversy with the splitter on the board. from what i’ve been told its supposed to be thrown with topspin.

Actually what you want to do is to get the bottom to drop out so it dives.

Try to throw it like me, 3 fingered pushing down on the middle, tell me if it works, I’ve found it affective.

[quote=“Pustulio”]Actually what you want to do is to get the bottom to drop out so it dives.

Try to throw it like me, 3 fingered pushing down on the middle, tell me if it works, I’ve found it affective.[/quote]
what do you mean?

Top spin will do this. The side of the ball spinning forward into the wind gets the most resistance and the ball is pushed toward the side spinning away from the wind.

so…

how does splitting the seams result in top spin?

Wrong

i throw a mean splitter than just dives about 2 feet.

Jam it between your fingers and keep everything loose and just throw it.

It should have a tumbling rotation almost lookin like a knuckleball to a hitter. Except its tumbling with slow backspin causing the magnus effect to take place and a break in the pitch

there is actually 2 pitches that impart splitting the seams the split-finger fastball that is splitting the seams a bit to get an exagerated sinking fastball because you take off a little bite of rotation from the ball which reduce the magnus effect of a ball spinning backward that result in a pitch that dies as it reaches the plate or

the forkball split the seams even more (the pitch that takes long fingers) and snap your wrist down at release point for a slow top spin pitch actually you want to make it like a knuckleball of some sort but with more velocity. getting too much forward rotation will make the pitch go flat acting then like a poor curveball instead of a poor knuckler. this pitch takes a long time to master the only guy i know of throwing the forkball is jose contreras

i throw a forkball, but with little backspin. coaches been saying its not a forkball even though it acts exactly the same.

A true splitter has backspin (like a fastball) and is more similar to a changeup, but with more drop. Roger Clemens, Curt Schilling, Dan Haren, Rich Harden all throw great splitters. Clemens and Schilling will usually throw theirs in the dirt, whereas Haren and Harden use theirs as an off-speed pitch. But all four primarily use a Fastball and Splitter and have great success.

I saw Contreras throw his forkball on ESPN a few weeks back and he grips his off-center so that there is a seam in the middle of his index and middle finger.