splitter

mr ellis how come the splitter that you have on your website is different than the one my coach taught me? he taught it like it being between the seams. not touching the seams. the splitter you have is over the seams. i perfer the 1 u have because it some wat drifts away from a righty. but are there more than 1 type of splitter?

you can throw a splitter from a variety of different grips all of them are to reduce the spin of the ball while still throwing it at high velocity. the splitter is pretty much a boosted sinking fastball.

gripping it between the seams is usually used to throw a forkball which is the grandfather of the splitter.when you throw a splitter you just spread apart your fingers and fire it like a fastball. when you throw a forkball you spread your fingers even more so that you pretty much have the middle of the ball touching the middle of your 2 fingers. you throw it with a fastball motion but flick the wrist forward and give it either a slightly top spin or pretty much no spin at all. in either cases, the ball will dive suddently as it reaches the plate putting no spin on the ball will make it act like a fast knuckleball jumping around and diving but at more speed. jose contreras as some kind of forkball with an interesting grip which you might want to check out. using the seams for more grip resulting in a pitch going faster but still doing that whole forkball thing. and this pitch is a lot more off-speed than the splitter

if you throw a splitter it’s better to be thrown with a 2 seam grip but for the forkball you could pretty much just grip it from anywhere and fire it. it’s all about the wrist flick for that last one though.

Yes, there’s certainly more than one way to throw the splitter – just like every other pitch. Everyone’s different. But that’s how I played with it. It was taught to me that way. But I actually didn’t throw it in games, it was just a practice pitch for me. I just threw three game pitches – fastball, circle change, and a knuckle curve ball. Those pitches gave me the “looks” I needed to be successful. But the splitter was always fun to work on in practices and on the side.

o ok thank you b/c i was looking for one more pitch to thro b/c i throw mainly sidearm -fast ball and change and my curve ball is over hand. i just wanted another pitch to throw overhand so i wont b tipping off my curve.it looks like i will b throwing the splitter i learn from mr ellis b/c the other 1 is harder to throw. thank you for you help

The splitter is a great pitch. I start with my fingers spread apart just somewhat outside the seams ti’ll i can throw it for strikes and as i go on my grip on it gets wider when i get more comfortable. If you’ve ever seen jose contreras splitter…mine move similar in terms of break and such.

Question guys: I heard from a fairly knowledgable friend this weekend that they are not teaching the splitter to young pitchers anymore due to arm injuries. Has anyone heard of arm injuries from throwing a splitter? My 13yr old son started throwing it on his own and it is fairly effective (He’s a big kid with big hands)

Tom House says the only reason the splitter might be hard ont he arm is if you let the thumb creep up the side of the ball toward the index finger because that creates a tendency to supinate. Keeping the thumb centered under the “V” formed by the index and middle finger prevents this.