Splitter/forkball as a changeup

Any tips or tricks to prefecting this (thowing a splitter/forkball as a changeup) ?

no one’s biting on this topic? Okay, here’s the angle… they say a splitter that doesn’t drop is a fat pitch … but then I also hear that people use splitter for a mere change of speed … when I throw the split, it doesn’t consistently drop, but it’s slower than my heater, and I my changeup is inconsistent, sometimes it’s on, sometimes it’s nowhere to be found…

I think it’s fine if the split doesn’t drop harshly … I also think it’s fine if a changeup is high in the zone as long as you throw it at the right time, keeping the hitters off balance, lunging for it…

[quote=“andrew.ra.”]no one’s biting on this topic? Okay, here’s the angle… they say a splitter that doesn’t drop is a fat pitch … but then I also hear that people use splitter for a mere change of speed … when I throw the split, it doesn’t consistently drop, but it’s slower than my heater, and I my changeup is inconsistent, sometimes it’s on, sometimes it’s nowhere to be found…

I think it’s fine if the split doesn’t drop harshly … I also think it’s fine if a changeup is high in the zone as long as you throw it at the right time, keeping the hitters off balance, lunging for it…[/quote]

Simple problem of using your split as a change if it doesn’t drop: the rotation. A change-up is so effective because it rotates and looks just like a fastball but is about 10 MPH slower. A splitter generally comes out of the hand all funky, rotating all different ways, sometimes not at all. It’s pretty easy to recognize and it certainly doesn’t rotate like your fastball, so it can be easy for good hitters to recognize and sit back on.

good point… though I’ve heard it said that a splitter looks like a fastball… I’ve heard people say that, though it’s not been my experience.

In order to drop, it needs to tumble toward the plate with a little over spin.

This is a pitch that requires long and strong fingers. I have yet to meet an early HS pitcher who had the hand/finger strength to pulls this off. Ian.