Split Moves Weird

I am learning to throw a split, and I got the grip down. The ball sinks as its supposed to, but it sinks, and it moves toward a lefthanded batter’s feet. What should I do?

Don’t worry about it. The split-finger fast ball is very much a “feel” pitch, and it will do what it does when it does it. As you become more familiar with it—and more comfortable with it—you can experiment with it and find some things you can do with it. Meanwhile, just work around with it and watch the batters swing over that pitch and miss by a mile. :slight_smile:

I’m not so sure you should be throwing a splitty at your age.

What’s wrong with it? My fingers are longer than my father’s, and my wrists are strong.

It’s not the hands I’d be worried about it’s the elbow. I used to talk to Andrew Connor regularly he was a pitcher for Savannah State University and was going to transfer over to Georgia because they liked what they saw a coach tried to teach him a split and he wrecked his elbow and can no longer play baseball. This happened to a 22 year old young man and you are only 12 correct? I wouldn’t start throwing a split until you’re at least 16 or 17, that’s just my opinion you don’t have to listen if you don’t want to.

Good point.