Split Finger

Do you need to pronate or supinate when you throw this pitch?

And what are the risks of throwing this pitch?

Some pitching coaches argue that the splitter places more stress on the arm. That wasn’t necessarily what I experienced when working with the pitch. But because it’s a harder pitch to throw for strikes, I think you end up throwing more pitches in general, which takes a bit away from your effectiveness and efficiency.

It’s not one of my preferred pitches. I’d stick with the FB, breaking ball (CB or SL) and a good changeup. If you’re throwing those pitches 7 out of 10 times for strikes, you don’t need anything else.

Good luck!

The splitter is one of my favorite pitches to throw. As ellis said its not a strike pitch but its really not meant to be. It’s supposed to look like a fastball and then drop out of sight.

That being said when I first learned it I was self conscious about it and would try flicking my wrist downward upon release. I learned later that its just a grip it and rip it type of pitch. As in hold the splitty grip and throw it like you throw your fastball. It will drop =)

How did you grip it?

Like a 2 seam but fingers spread apart a little bit?

Thats how i was gripping it when i was throing and i was getting a drop but not that big.

I was just wondering if i had to do anything with my arm to make it drop more.

Uhhh when I first learned to throw it I did it with this grip. I held the ball exactly like that and traced my fingers on the ball and through it like that until I could do it in my sleep.

And when you throw it are you doing it off of a mound or just playing catch?
If you’re just playing catch you wont see too much movement because you’re usually closer and you’re not really throwing with your pitching motion.

When I throw my splitter just playing catch it does almost nothing but when I throw it with my real mechanics from 60ft away it moves.

One thing you will learn about the splitter is the further you spread your fingers apart the more the pitch will break but it will get slower making it more like a forkball. The close you hold your fingers the fast it will be but you get less drop.

So it will just be which you find the most effective. To be honest I switch from a wider grip to a tighter grip often. It will keep the batter off balance both with speed and break. You could throw a tight spitter with smaller, sharper break and then throw another with much more break but a hair slower. Balance man its all about balance.

Here, in a nutshell, is the difference between the two.
The forkball is a slow pitch which will put a terrific strain on the hand, arm, elbow, what have you, unless you have a King Kong-size paw, because for that one you have to actually grip the ball between the index and middle fingers. The splitter is a faster-moving cousin which won’t put so much strain on the hand, arm, elbow, what have you, because you grip the ball with those two fingers spread just wide enough so that they’re off the seams. One pitcher who has both in his repertoire is Jose Contreras, and when he’s really on he can have batters tearing their hair out by the roots trying to hit them. I would recommend the splitter, just because it’s easier, and you can change up on it. 8)

[quote=“Zita Carno”]Here, in a nutshell, is the difference between the two.
The forkball is a slow pitch which will put a terrific strain on the hand, arm, elbow, what have you, unless you have a King Kong-size paw, because for that one you have to actually grip the ball between the index and middle fingers. The splitter is a faster-moving cousin which won’t put so much strain on the hand, arm, elbow, what have you, because you grip the ball with those two fingers spread just wide enough so that they’re off the seams. One pitcher who has both in his repertoire is Jose Contreras, and when he’s really on he can have batters tearing their hair out by the roots trying to hit them. I would recommend the splitter, just because it’s easier, and you can change up on it. 8)[/quote]
I 100% agree! The splitter is a great and easy pitch to learn and remember, you can deviate from that grip I showed. Mine doesn’t look like that anymore it was just a starting point. Have fun with it, You will get a lot of ground balls because of it.

So when you throw it you throw it like a fastball. And because of that im guessing it has backward spin on it?

same here than i found the secret. release the ball not like a four seam. but the palm facing the target. i have HUGE hands for a 13 year old. but ironiclly im only 5 ft nothing. i can throw a forkball already.

quick tip: if ur seroius about this pitch. grip a softball with splitter grip so you can keep the fingers loose