Speed = power?

is it possible to have a very quick swing with no power?

I would say yes. You can be able to swing very fast, but once the ball comes and forces resistance against your arms, it can reduce the power of your swing, if your not strong enough.

Assuming it is a mechanically-perfect swing, I would say yes. If you have high bat speed, resistance to contact with the ball shouldn’t kill your power.

The answer is no, actually.

In Batting, Speed IS Power, people seem to get that confused. The Formula for Kinetic Energy (aka Power) is one half the mass of the bat times velocity squared. Because of that, speed supplies most of the power behind a swing, so RIStar, the only way a baseball could knock back your swing is if you are swinging slow, or if you’re hitting with a bat made entirely of cork.

KE = (1/2)M x V^2

when was i in the post lol.

love how people add me in conversation!!!

(((smacks head)))

I never looked at the name, I just saw a guy pitching and thought of you, my bad… :oops: :smiley:

[quote=“J-Roc”](((smacks head)))

I never looked at the name, I just saw a guy pitching and thought of you, my bad… :oops: :D[/quote]

u sure u didnt do that on purpose: :lol:

[quote=“J-Roc”]The answer is no, actually.

In Batting, Speed IS Power, people seem to get that confused. The Formula for Kinetic Energy (aka Power) is one half the mass of the bat times velocity squared. Because of that, speed supplies most of the power behind a swing, so RIStar, the only way a baseball could knock back your swing is if you are swinging slow, or if you’re hitting with a bat made entirely of cork.

KE = (1/2)M x V^2[/quote]

Well I’m not a physics major and I’m sure your not either so showing a formula doesn’t help me much. In my opinion I don’t think the original poster was specific enough. If you took a bat and swung it without a pitch coming just taking free swings and you had say a 15 mph swing (I’m aware this isn’t accurate at all I’m just trying to throw some number in there to make it easier) Now some guy who is stronger only swings the bat 10 mph free swinging. I’d assume yes assume that if they were both to swing at a baseball there is a change yes I said change that the slower swinging guy who is stronger will explode through he ball harder, hitting it farther than the weaker guy with the faster free swing, if the guy is weak enough where his bad slows down at contact.

I know nothing about physics but I’d assume that if both swings stayed at a constant speed throughout the entire swing the one who’s is faster will hit farther.

I have no clue I’m just taking a guess at what would make sense to me.

To be a successful hitter you do not have to have a huge bat speed. One of the greatest hitters in Major League Baseball has one of the slower or more average bats, can you guess who it is? Albert Pujols. His bat speed is at or a little below 85 MPH. The reason why he is such a great hitter is because he gets the barrel of his bat into the path of the ball quickly, and keeps it there for a long time. The distance his bat travels in the plane of the ball is about 5 feet, which helps him make up for the lack of bat speed. Some guys can swing 95-100 MPH, but their bat stays in the hitting zone (path of the baseball) for a very short time, thus reducing their chances to hit the ball. Therefore, you should work on getting your bat into the plane of the ball quickly, and keep it there longer.