Speed on 9yr old

Trying to figure out if the gun was close

What is good speed for a 9yr old pitcher?

Went in to a facility today had what looked like a decent radar gun setup as it was what they used to test their pitchers for lessons.

My son just turned 9 the end if September weighs 104 and stands 4’7"
His top was 55 but sat right around 50 as he knows its not about throwing hard all the time.
I know its hard to judge without video but are those #'s outrageous??

Are you asking if those numbers are so far off the gun is wrong? If so then no. That’s a big kid for 9, and accordingly he’s throwing hard.

So now, like my self and a lot of others, you get to sit and wait to see if that transfers into a young man that is big and throws hard. Good luck to you and your son.

Protect his arm a let him enjoy the game, as well as enjoying being a boy. There’s many different philosophies about youth baseball, and more than one approach to developing youth pitching.

Velocity is very sexy in youth baseball, but youth baseball is not the end of all ends. What I mean is my son was clocked at 68 at 11 by the local baseball academy. He’s dominated every league/every game. I asked if there was something they could recommend to improve his delivery, and the “pros” answer went this way: “What Travel team does he play for?” I answered none, he’s just a kid. Whether he played travel ball or not had nothing to do with my question. I summed up they thought I was a clueless hillbilly, so they followed with “he has some potential”, giving glances to each other and thinking $$. “Given enough time and instruction (at $100/hour), he could become an OK pitcher for his age.” Thanks, but no thanks. All some people will see is $$.

[quote=“sluggerspark”]Trying to figure out if the gun was close

What is good speed for a 9yr old pitcher?

Went in to a facility today had what looked like a decent radar gun setup as it was what they used to test their pitchers for lessons.

My son just turned 9 the end if September weighs 104 and stands 4’7"
His top was 55 but sat right around 50 as he knows its not about throwing hard all the time.
I know its hard to judge without video but are those #'s outrageous??[/quote]

Those are very good speeds, in my opinion. Keep it fun and he’ll be well on his way to having a great baseball experience. Good luck!