Speed increase

How do i increase speed on my 4smFB? its topping off right now at about 66.

Well try lifting weights for one. Naturally it sounds like you arr about 13-14 throwing 66mph. You will gain speed naturally as you grow. But, untill then try little things like mechanics. More importantly, try to develop a change-up young. I think if you do it will help you greatly in the future by not only gining you confidence to thrpw it but help you also.

actually im a freshman in high school. 5’5" 130lbs.

Well I am a junior in highschool at 5’11’’ 162lbs. and I throw my 4SFB at 80-85. Don’t worry about velocity. Try to learn how to change speeds comfortably. Learn a off speed pitch, or a curveball. That alone will make your fast ball better. See the point is that other pitches can make your other pitches better. I have a Knuckle Curve, 4SFB, 2SFB, KnuckleBall and a 12-6 curve I recently learned. Each of my pitches if thrown correctly makes the next pitch better. Good luck and experiment with pitches and find out what works for you and you are comfortable with. :smiley:

WSox, you’re entitled to your opinion, but secondary pitches should be just that. I understand your concept, but not throwing alot of junk. Just throw, and throw, and throw. The best way to bench press more weight is by benching, right? You don’t need an overloaded repitiore right now. If you progress, the coaches should teach you.

I agree with you 100%, but my pitches would not be what they are if I hadn’t thrown them so much and practiced. But you can’t just learn by throwing, you have to have some sort of guidance to help you. I alternate my picthes, I don’t use everyone of them in a game. I may go a whole game even two without touching the Knuckleball. Usually I stick with the 2SFB, Knuckle Curve and the 12-6. I’ll throw a Knuckleball in there every once in a blue moon and throw off their timing and keep them guessing. Especially if they don’t even know I can throw one. My 12-6 is like a slow Forkball. My knuckle curve is clearly recognizeable in movement from my 12-6. I have good sucess with them and I meant by other pitches making others better is that if you throw a change-up on a fast ball count 2-0 and then throw a 12-6, inturn the batter is probably expecting a fastball of some sort so your change-up has “helped/improve the effectiveness” of your 12-6 curveball. I use my Knuckleball as a out pitch or a change-up, to fool. If you use a pitch like that too much you will be creamed because the spin on the ball is easy to recognize. But if the batter has never seen it before then he will probably miss it. Get the point I was trying to make? I like your input also. :slight_smile:

Oh, totally. But that’s a different discussion. If you want more speed on your fastball i think your main tool should be throwing. What you’re talking about is stuff to make your fastball more effective.

It’s all good.

I agree as well. Mix this info together properly and you will have yourself an excellent fastball.

Personally I don’t do a whole lot of weight lifting at all. I’m a tad over 6 foot 2 and only 155 lbs. I increased my fastball about 5 m.p.h simply by throwing a lot and working on mechanics. Improving my ability to get everything going toward the plate helped me a ton. Also, being bulky is bad because you need to have good arm flexibility and speed. You do need to lift to build enough muscle to increase stamina and give your elbow and shoulder some protection, but just getting big won’t necessarily make you throw faster.

Another thing that helps that I currently am still working at is exercising your legs. When you have a strong base it makes you more stable and consistent over time so that your mechanics don’t fall apart when you get tired.

That’s almost exactly what I said about, not alot of weight lifting and alot of legwork and working on mechanics. Read my posts above. And also how I mentioned that alot of muscle is needed to throw fast with my exampl of Mariano Rivera.

Weightlifting is useless unless you are targeting the muscles that accelerate and decelerate the pitching arm and doing weightwork in the motion you are trying to strengthen. You will only throw as fast as your arm can decelerate. So work on accelerator and decelerator muscles (36 muscles in all).
Guys that lift and increase velocity normally have arm injuries within a year because they do not work all the muscles and therefore put unnecessary strain on the weaker areas. Their symmetry is out of whack and therefore pulls, strains, and bone damage results.

As for you legs stamina is the key there. Legs are a means of transportation for the body the arm is what throws the ball.

At your age you’re arm is not fully mature which means you have open growth plates in your elbow and shoulder. Any trama to those plates will accelerate there closure and as a result your bones (Humerus, Ulna, Radius) will not grow to there intended size (average ML pitcher pitching arm is 1/2" shorter than their non-pitching arm).

So enjoy being a freshman and work on things like consistant release and pronation to keep the elbow point up at release. That is a major change Roger Clemens did when he went to Toronto and it has kept him pretty much injury free at the elbow.

Guys that lift and increase velocity normally have arm injuries within a year because they do not work all the muscles and therefore put unnecessary strain on the weaker areas. Their symmetry is out of whack and therefore pulls, strains, and bone damage results.
I can’t get with you here sballer. The generalization is by no means all encompassing. Some guys do this, they are receiving bad info. It is important to consider de-cells, but it is also way important to work core strength, as a matter of fact is isn’t very imortant to “get huge”, but to comprehensively build all aspects of body to compete at higher levels. You mentioned the Rocket, his work out, like Nolan Ryans were/are legendary, they both address all areas, not specializing in one area or group of muscles. As guys move farther up the ladder one thing I’ve heard from College level and ex-pro coaches is that kids need to get stronger, this includes, lifting, running, throwing (Long toss, bull pens, drill work) as a program with a goal not hap-hazardly.

Dont wory about speed. I was in 8th grade last year (I am 5’6 110) and I threw 65 last year. I went 7-0 with a .95 era. I got people out with movement and offbalance. Yes, I would like to increase my speed but mixing up pitches is just as good.

Isometrics and resistance training are excellent to help develop the encapsulating muscles around the shoulder, which protects from injury and increases the ability of the arm to accelerate and decelerate. The same type of excercises are good for back shaping and overall shoulder and back strength. They won’t bulk you up, but they will increase your strength while keeping your muscles elastic. There are several programs available out there that give you the proper excercises to do , and some come with excercise equipment, too. When combined with a good throwing routine, this will increase your speed more than anything. My son went from throwing 63mph as a 12 yo to 75 mph in 9 months.

Don’t forget to work the core groups, i.e., lower back and abdomenals. Medicine balls are an excellent choice for this type of training, but beware: doing the excercises incorrectly can lead to pulled muscles and setbacks to your program.

Work the legs by alternating distance running with sprints. Once your legs are used to the sprints, you can begin challenging yourself by sprinting up hills and running against resistance (usually some kind of rope attached pulling the opposite way from your run). Strong legs and great cardio make it possible for you to pitch harder, longer, and more effectively.

And most of all, throw throw throw. Pitch from a mound as much as possible, and long toss a couple times a week.

[quote=“shenbaseball10”]Dont wory about speed. I was in 8th grade last year (I am 5’6 110) and I threw 65 last year. I went 7-0 with a .95 era. I got people out with movement and offbalance. Yes, I would like to increase my speed but mixing up pitches is just as good.[/quote]colleges look for speed, hate to say it, but colleges do look for speed over control, if you have a 75 mph fastball with GREAT control, they’ll take a pitcher who throws 85-90 way before theyd take the 75 mph pitcher

[b]Well Ill put my 2 cents in here, What a major key in increasing your speed is Working the legs, the Glutes, and the Abs, the base is major in a composure and explosion , another thing is good form and tecnique, pitching is an art, you cannot just scribble a pitch, you need to practice it and get good at it, Also the pecs, the bicep, the scapula muscle and fore arm are key areas to hit but dont over do it this could really destroy your arm, i usually put a baseball in my glove hold it in my throwing arm straight out and pull up about 12 times, then I switch it upside down and do another 12, this is really effective

another thing, before you go to bed balancing in your motion, balance is key in pitching

btw my name is Chad, Im 15, I Range 73-85, My Fastball can get to 85 alot in a game.12/6 curve, slider, and very effective change , I played JV my frosh year, was supposed to move up to varsity after the first 2 games but I had a strain in my bicep muscle, so I never really fully recovered till the last Jv game, Played legion that summer, also played another season of babe ruth, i finished each season with ( school -33 k’s ) ( Babe Ruth- 49 k’s ) ( Allstars 23 k’s) and ( legion 2 k’s ) and I am currently trainning for the upcoming season [/b]