Speed for a 12 yr old

whats the average speed for a 12 yr old. i dont know if im throwing fast or slow for my age

As a 12 year old you should worry more about the ability to throw strikes and do it in a fundementally sound fashion. Top end 12 yr olds at the Little League World Series are in the 70’s but again it should take a back seat to doing it right…believe it or not, if you are doing it right your body will be throwing the ball as fast as you can anyway.

I was a control pitcher when I was 12, even though I threw 60s and a change so that helped but throwing strikes was key (I won Cy Young :smiley: ). jd’s right - especially when you make the jump to 60’.

I really wouldnt worry about speed until high school because your arm could change alot. I read a story online that a 12 year old was throwing 80 mph and scouts were all over him but when he was 18 he could only throwing 83. As long as your getting batters out i wouldnt worry about speed now.

if your not throwing at least 75 you suck…just kidding. but realy you should just be focused on mechanics and command. learning how to pitch well is much more difficult than getting stronger. so don’t worry about velocity

I’d say low 60’s mph, wouldn’t you guys? It’s been a while since I payed LL ball :slight_smile:

ya low 60’s is about right

there are not many 12 year olds that can throw 70 from 60 feet

If you throw 70 on LL field you throw 70 from a HS/NCAA/MLB field .

Let’s not get that one going again :wink:

[quote=“futureKazmir”]If you throw 70 on LL field you throw 70 from a HS/NCAA/MLB field .[/quote]if you throw 70 from 60 feet you should throw alot faster from 45-50 feet

No, the ball will get there faster, but it will still be 70 mph. We are not measuring say… “time to the plate” we are measuring the miles that ball would go if it traveled at that constant speed for one hour.

Say one kid was about to throw on a LL field and another on a Majors. Suddenly, as they release, the backstop and the catcher are gone, and the ball keeps going.

70 mph would be the same both ways.

No, the ball will get there faster, but it will still be 70 mph. We are not measuring say… “time to the plate” we are measuring the miles that ball would go if it traveled at that constant speed for one hour.

Say one kid was about to throw on a LL field and another on a Majors. Suddenly, as they release, the backstop and the catcher are gone, and the ball keeps going.

70 mph would be the same both ways.[/quote]

Exactly right. But the batter doesn’t see the MPH in the pitch. He just sees how quickly it reaches the plate, which is more important.

I’d say if you are in the low to mid 60s and you have control over your pitches you are doing pretty good. Elite pitchers that are 12 are throwing in the mid to high 70s and they call these kid fenoms. If you guys are watching LL world series and seeing that a kid throwing 77 is equal to an mlb pitch of 99 it’s because a ball thrown from 46’ at 77mph would reach the plate at the same as a 99 mph pitch from 60’. Because of this the reaction time of the batter is the same as trying to hit a 99mph pitch thrown from 60 ’

phenoms*

and yes, but when these kids move back to 60’6" it is a whole different story. Well, most times at least.

First post on this forum. Happy to be able to read this info. as that is the reason why I signed up. I NEED some experienced answers!! We are newbies to baseball. Live just outside of Toronto, Ontario…not the greatest weather to play serious ball. Anyways…some background info on our Son: played for the 1st time last season. Made the Select team (peeWee…he is 12 now.) Rep coaches must have heard about him somehow and they came to watch him play late into the season last year. Invited him to participate in the skills competion they were running. He took the Gold in both Longest Throw and in Base Running. To make a long story short, he is now playing this season for the Rep team. We’ve had him in a few Pitching clinics at a training facility nearby called the Baseball Zone. Just finished up a 5 week clinic and he was throwing 74mph. He is a tall (almost 6’) lanky kid and they tell us that he has some huge potential with his pitching as he is very accurate and very fast. They think that he hasn’t even come close to his velocity potential due to the fact that he really doesn’t know all the proper mechanics in pitching yet. We’re a bit worried and also, yes, excited at his possibilities. Need some help from those of you with all the experience: when/what is too much? He LOVES to play and we’d like to keep it that way for him, ykwim? What he should be doing at this point? Any advice as to training direction? Should we just leave things during the season and get him some specialized training off-season? Is he really just too young to even think about any of this? Aaaargh!! So confused! :? Thanks so much for any help you may provide.

low 60s is above average just a little. id say very high 50’s

When I was 12 I threw 56 at 52’. I hung w/ the batters alright.

I wouldn’t worry about speed at this stage of the game. What is important is good sound mechanics and being able to locate one’s pitches and throw strikes. And don’t forget that most young pitchers are throwing from a distance of 46 feet; very few 12-year-olds are throwing at the regulation major league distance. 8)

Building great mechanics at 12 means you will have everything you need in the future to produce accuracy and the speed you want. It’s hard later on the develop those mechanical things you know the saying “You cant teach an old dog new tricks” is true.