Soreness under Armpit

Is it strange to have a soreness in the lower/under armpit regions, I’ve been working on velocity for the past 2-3 weeks with usually 2 day breaks. As for when i am throwing, I usually only notice that my bicep starts to become tense or has a light burning sensation. It’s not super painful, just whenever I push my arm backwards it feels sore. Also feels sore near under my shoulder. Should I adjust my mechanics once I recover from the soreness or?

In our journey, Armpit/Bicept pain was usually associated with improper warmup, recovery &/or over throwing. Continuing to do those things will lead to worse things for you.

So…Might be helpful to know a bit more about you. How old are you, what is your height & weight? I’m not a doc but have gone thru this with my son. What is you warm up routine look like? Are you on a long toss/throwing program and when was the last time you took a break from throwing?

FTR: Any pain should be addressed with your parents &/or coaches ASAP.

Im 16, 5ft7-8. I weight 187. My warmup routine is really simple, I usually do some light stretches and then play catch and slowly get farther away till I’m away like roughly 40ft, then come back in. Usually my breaks are 2-4 days, but I just got off from a 2 week break of not throwing at all, as I was sick. I don’t happen to be in a pitching program, I’ve inquired my parents about going into one before, just waiting until after winter. Most of my pitching is self work, as I don’t play on a team, the only outside help I get is from my brother who was an experienced pitcher.

Mathew,

Just saw this, let your parents know!!!

“Is it strange to have a soreness in the lower/under armpit regions”

Don’t be alarmed but check it out. It’s rare but showing up now. Not saying you have it!

Unlike all other pathomechanical flaws that can be diagnosed and mitigated thru mechanical change, there is one that is being diagnosed better and better every year and it is life threatening!

While it is mitigatable fully, it is only exposed thru throwing because it is congenital.

J. R. Richards suffered from this when the medical community was pretty much ignorant of it. It’s called TOS (Thoracic outlet syndrome). I have had several students go thru it. One played at Penn state and another one, the same year went to Georgia state. The Penn state kid did not have it operated on even after the advice to mitigate it and suffered from blood flow weakness in the shoulder and arm. The Georgia state player had his removed with immediate relief and better performance, his rehab was 3 mo. and ready to go, he now wears the 1/2 rib on a necklace.

It is produced by a tite cavity under the arm pit where the 1st, rib presses against the subclavian vein and shuts it off causing blood clotting that can dislodge and go straight to the brain causing stroke.

It’s a short recovery with the right rehab program after the remove the 1st. Rib.

“ I’ve been working on velocity for the past 2-3 weeks with usually 2 day breaks.”

This is a good start. When you turn Biologically 16 when all the growth plates in your Elbows solidify you should work on velocity daily if your mechanics are healthy.

“I usually only notice that my bicep starts to become tense or has a light burning sensation.”

This means you forearm supinate your drives and recovery, making your biceps eccentrically contract trying to stop Hyper extension of your Elbow, it will fail in doing so.

“Should I adjust my mechanics once I recover from the soreness or?”

learn to throw all forearm pronated pitch types. All types of pitches can be done this way. Your Elbow should pop up at release and your arm recovery should be back in line with your shoulder line.

Good luck, any questions feel free.