Soreness during whipping phase of throwing

I’ve been pitching for a very long time now 7 years plus, 2 years ago I joined a new baseball club after about a 5-6 month off-season break, I threw from centre field to second base and felt immediate pain in my shoulder. I continued to play that season but would always be in pain when making the whipping action when throwing. I normally throw around 86ish mph off the mound and now it feels like I can barely throw 60 of a hop. For the rest kg the season I played catcher and pitched a few games but didn’t over do it or try to throw hard at all. There is only pain in my shoulder when I make that action doesn’t hurt any other time. I have got my arm seen to and have had ultrasound MRI CT scan and X-ray with nothing coming up unusual and have been told that my rotator cuff was very healthy. My sports physio has been telling me to do resistance band work and just build strength in my throwing arm. I would just like to know anyone else who was had something like this happen to them or if there is anything else I can do. Thank you in advance

I’m a sophomore in highschool with the same exact problem. Luckily I have a doctor for the Phillies that is around my town in their offseason and I went. I had posterior capsule tightness. All it is, is tightness on the outside of the shoulder when you throw. Using it while it is tight will eventually hurt your arm seriously. Do sleeper stretches, bands, and get 5lb weights and do horizontal lifts, and lay on your non throwing arm and lift the weight just moving your forearm. My arm was better in days, this also will boost your velo a few MPH on top of it. Hopefully this helps.

Mhamm

Thank you heaps for your reply will definitely do that.

No problem! I’ve been blessed to be able to have such great doctors and I’m just passing on the info! Another thing he says is CORE/LEGS. Takes stress off the arm. Planks, squats and flexibility will all help. So stretch my friend.

@Mhamm gave you very sound advice. While it could be a lot of other things going on, the shoulder is a good place to start. Sleeper stretch is good to try; make sure you feel the stretch on the back of your shoulder when doing it. You should never feel front of shoulder pain with this stretch…if you do, you’re doing it incorrectly.

Legs (quad strength, glute strength) and core strength are very important. Flexibility is arguably more important. You will need to both maintain strength and flexibility during the seasons of play. Use the off-season to really improve these areas.