Sore forearm and bicep

My son is having soreness in his forearm and bicep after pitching. We ice and the next day it slowly goes away. His arm is very well conditioned. My question is can…

1. opening front side early causing some type of arm lag
  2. bad finish with pitching arm, arm recoils before his landing knee. no deceleration a hard stop and pop back

Thanks

There are two people he needs to see: a physician, to make sure there’s nothing more serious, and a really good pitching coach who will work with him to correct the problem. It may mechanical, or it may be something that requires medical attention—although if the pain slowly goes away after a day or two, it’s probably mechanical. He needs to concentrate on his delivery and on finishing his pitches—I suspect the latter. What’s his arm slot, anyway? If he’s an over-the-top pitcher, this could contribute to the problem. Keep me informed. 8)

I would suspect that this is a mechanical issue, not one relating to fitness.

With the forearm, I would expect there to be some mechanical flaw that adds excessive valgus stress to the elbow since the flexor-pronator mass helps to stabilize the UCL. Strengthening the forearm and fixing the mechanical flaw should help with this.

The bicep issue could likely be caused by inefficient deceleration. I have had this issue in the past and the direct cause was excessive stride foot flyout (im left handed and my landing foot was pointing towards the 3rd base line at SFC). Because of this, it was harder for my arm to decelerate, so my body relied more on my bicep, which caused some serious pain. The pain was gone the second I fixed the foot issue.

Just my opinion on the matter. Without seeing the mechanics, its hard to pinpoint what exactly is going on.

Could be early rotation or a deceleration issue. Could also be the body moving offline from the target - basically the center of mass moves in one direction while the throwing arm tries to throw the ball in another direction. This could have also caused erutherford’s front foot fly-out as the front foot (and entire front leg for that matter) will align itself in the direction the center of mass is moving because that allows it to best support the body’s weight.