Sore bicep

Like a previous poster, i have bicep pain that my trainer told me isnt in the tendon, but its probably from overuse. Also the pain is right above my inner elbow when i bend it. I have been doing jobes and scapular exercises for a couple weeks now but nothing seems to help the pain in my bicep. I do tube work before i throw but when we take I/O, about two throws and my arm starts hurting pretty bad. When i try to drink water, my arm shakes because it hurts so bad. I don’t know how to rehab this. Any ideas?

EDIT: So i went to the doctor today(well known sports medicine doctor) and he said the pain in my bicep and elbow was from overuse. But the thing is, i like just got into baseball from basketball. He also said this injury just happens to some people and they cant seem to recover from it. Anyone have any experiences like that? and if so how did you recover?

After I throw like a complete game I get sore in my tendons connecting my forearms and bicept, as well in my forearm and bicept. I just ice those tendons, and bicept for about ten minutes on and ten minutes off about three times. That seems to do the trick for me and ends the soreness almost right away and i am usually back up to my best performance about three of four days later

But if that does not work, i also take very light weight, (about 8lbs dumbells) and i rest my arm on a table or something and do very slow bicept curls, but the most important thing is to make sure you go as far down as possible and straighten your arm out COMPLETELY, you should feel your tendons tighten up, it works those tendons very well… for me

i get this same pain every time i pitch, i threw a third of an inning today and had a lot of pain, i tried to hold up my arm and i couldn’t stop it from shaking from the elbow down

ive had the same problem for about 3 years now. I went to phsyio and was told i had a piched nerve in my neck. I dont think that was the proper diagnosis, but its a off on on sort of thing. some days I cant throw 5 pitches and others i can throw a compete game. I do believe it is fromm overuse, and when i give myself 2 days rest before a start and a day after with no lifting or strain on the shoulder my start goes a lot better. Still, this makes wieght lifting and throwing bullpens very difficult. Its frusterating because i feel its holding me back from getting better, not to mention i hardly ever feel like i can throw at my highest velocity.

same here, ice just like ZBoyle said, 10 minutes on-10 minutes off 3 times. Then, the next day run a little bit, I run about 15 minutes.

I get the bicep problem every year in the winter. I dont have any recomendations for during the season but what i do in the winter is throw till it hurts. Then 2 or 3 more whilebit hurts. It should go away in a couple of weeks a month tops. I get it from over use when i start throwin 2-3 pens a week. Right before the season

I had this issue during my entire freshman year in HS. Thing is after that year I never had it again. The reason why I hurt it was from throwing all arm…once I changed my mechanics I never had a problem.

That’s exactly what I’ve been saying, tony—you have to get your whole body into the action. So many arm problems have arisen just from throwing with just the arm and the shoulder. If you learn to use your whole body, particularly driving off the lower half (the legs, the hips and the torso in one continuous motion), you can avoid sore biceps, sore this and sore that. I learned to do this many years ago, and I never had any problems. 8)

A sore bicep usually means its compensating for other weaker muscles. For the most part you don’t use your bicep when you pitch.

yea, there are pitchers who don’t know how to use their body and think to throw hard is to squeeze the ball hard and muscle up on the throw…this tenses up the bicep muscle and can lead to strains…this is the product of improper mechanics

might even get strains on the muscle that is outside the elbow…if you hold your palm out facing down…that muscle outside the elbow that leads to the forearm can get sore…i’ve had that happen a lot during HS

In addition to many of the previous posters, I have this same issue. I couldn’t figure out what was going. I knew my bicep wasn’t compensating for other muscles because it is my weakest upper body muscle. I thought that weakness itself might be the issue so I started doing more curls in my weight training routine. This helped the muscle to last a little longer before the soreness sunk in but it still got too sore too soon.

Tony and Zita have the best advice here. As soon as I started sitting down on my back leg more, rotating my torso later, lengthening my stride, starting my external rotation later, picking up my plant leg closer to ball release, breaking the hands later and lower, so on, so forth etc.

Basically it comes down to this: The more energy you can transfer from your lower body into the ball, the less work your arm has to do. This website has a ton of resources to help you focus on this.

Once I improved my mechanics, the bicep soreness drastically diminished.

It could be alot of things going on. Without doing an eval its hard to say. I would be interested in knowing just what the doctor had to say.

One common problem I have seen has to do with mechanics. The biceps helps with deceleration of the arm. If your are not following through with your arm and stoping it short the stress to the biceps and elbow can be great. This tends to be a problem that happens earily in the season or when throwing has increased.

When this happens to my pitchers, coaches are able to help correct the mechanical issue and physicial therapy can help with healing and pain.

That’s another thing I’ve been saying—you have to be sure to complete your follow-through! I’ve seen too many pitchers who stop short, who pull the arm back instead of finishing their pitches, and that’s where the trouble begins, not only with the bicep but also with other things in the arm and the shoulder. There are many reasons for this, one of which may be that they’ve been told not to throw across the body. That is one big crock of b.s. I was a sidearmer, and I always threw across the body when I followed through, and nobody ever said boo to me because this is something sidearmers always do! I finished my pitches, I followed through, and I always ended up in a good fielding position.
This guy’s problem may well be with his mechanics, and as soon as he feels he can start throwing again he should address this problem with the follow-through. It’s every bit as important as the other thing I have spoken about—getting the whole body into the action, driving off the lower half of the body, using the legs, the hips and the torso in one continuous motion so as to generate more power behind the pitches and taking a lot of pressure off the arm and the shoulder. In fact, the two go together, like bacon and eggs or corned beef and cabbage. As the song says, you can’t have one without the other.
My fifty cents’ worth (inflation, you know). :slight_smile: 8)

oh yea and don’t throw weighted balls over 6oz…the heavier balls can cock your wrist way back during acceleration and strain your forearm muscles.

I read one of the PH.D from ASMI forum talking about bicep pain.

here is the link: http://asmiforum.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=elbow&action=display&thread=4