Sophomore for review

First bullpen this season. Fire away!

[quote=“Bretzke”]

First bullpen this season. Fire away![/quote]

He reminds me of Jake Peavy, which is both good and bad.

Good in that he’s got nice tail on his bad.

Bad in that he’s got some Inverted V in his arm action and a bit of a timing problem (which is why he leaves the ball up sometimes).

Chris-

Thanks for your feedback. This is the first time he’s picked up a baseball since last summer. He’s coming back from major surgery on his throwing hand thumb.

It appears that his head is out of control causing him to fall off to the left and misfire.

He is attending a Juco showcase next Sunday. The head coach and pitching coach at the Juco speak very highly of the work you do.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Brian

[quote=“Bretzke”]Thanks for your feedback. This is the first time he’s picked up a baseball since last summer. He’s coming back from major surgery on his throwing hand thumb.

It appears that his head is out of control causing him to fall off to the left and misfire.

He is attending a Juco showcase next Sunday. The head coach and pitching coach at the Juco speak very highly of the work you do.[/quote]

Get some video of him throwing off of a mound, if you can.

That will show whether the Inverted V is actually causing him timing problems or not.

[quote=“Chris O’Leary”][quote=“Bretzke”]

First bullpen this season. Fire away![/quote]

He reminds me of Jake Peavy, which is both good and bad.

Good in that he’s got nice tail on his bad.

Bad in that he’s got some Inverted V in his arm action and a bit of a timing problem (which is why he leaves the ball up sometimes).[/quote]

Chris-

I see the mechanical similarities to Peavy. It appears my boy started out the bullpen with his glove leading high and the glove kept dropping as the bullpen progressed.

He has a showcase this Sunday. Will still be rusty. I’m going to recommend he get his head under control and keep his glove up. Good advice?

Brian

Finally got some video of him throwing from the bump. First video is the second inning of his first HS start. Second video is fourth inning of same game.

Appreciate any feedback…

Brian

Brian,

Your boy look pretty good. About the only thing I see is a lack of use of the lower half to generate some momentum.

[quote=“Roger”]Brian,

Your boy look pretty good. About the only thing I see is a lack of use of the lower half to generate some momentum.[/quote]

Thanks Roger-

Gotta quick fix for the lower half problem?

Brian

I like the movement…nice sinker :shock: …the hook/slider works too. I’m with Roger, bottom half involvement is important for arm health and velo increase. He’s a sophmore so workin that aspect now will pay huge dividends.
I really like real game stuff, can’t hide what you got…just it is what it is. What he’s got is talent, lets get him some more refinement and watch him in college :wink: nice arm action…loose and flowing is where it’s at with me…it makes that sinker work.

[quote=“Bretzke”][quote=“Roger”]Brian,

Your boy look pretty good. About the only thing I see is a lack of use of the lower half to generate some momentum.[/quote]

Thanks Roger-

Brian[/quote]

Gotta get the hips moving sooner and faster while maintaining posture and balance and not sacrificing height of knee lift. Lead with the front hip longer into the stride.

My pitching coach is trying to get me to get more momentum too. He has really been talking about leading with my hip more - and he has also told me that I should be working on generating momentum during all long toss throwing regardless of distance. He makes me do the little step-behind crow hop. This really helped to show me how momentum impacts pitch velocity. He had me throw one throw at 60’ with no crow hop and then another with a crow hop (all on flat ground). The momentum had to add a couple of mph to the velocity. As he said now the challenge is to get the body strong enough to be able to generate such momentum from the mound.

When you throw, your hand ( after releasing the ball ), ends at your hip. You need to bend at the waist and end your pitch at your left ankle or ( at least left knee ). Keep your eyes on the catchers mitt and get horizontal to the ground. Your head NEEDS to be out ( in front ) of your front ( landing foot ), at least by 1" to 1" 1/2. Practice pays off.

[quote=“Roger”][quote=“Bretzke”][quote=“Roger”]Brian,

Thanks Roger-

Brian[/quote]

Gotta get the hips moving sooner and faster while maintaining posture and balance and not sacrificing height of knee lift. Lead with the front hip longer into the stride.[/quote]

Thanks Roger-

I’ll hit him with your fix when the time’s right.

Brian

[quote=“jdfromfla”]I like the movement…nice sinker :shock: …the hook/slider works too. I’m with Roger, bottom half involvement is important for arm health and velo increase. He’s a sophmore so workin that aspect now will pay huge dividends.
I really like real game stuff, can’t hide what you got…just it is what it is. What he’s got is talent, lets get him some more refinement and watch him in college :wink: nice arm action…loose and flowing is where it’s at with me…it makes that sinker work.[/quote]

JD-

Thanks for the kind words.

At the beginning of the season, Andy came to me and asked where he should be after the HS and travel seasons. I told him he should be cruising at 83 with his fastball and it should have downward plane with late movement. The FB should be a “plus” pitch. I also told him he should have a below average breaking ball and should be working on an off-speed pitch.

In his first start, he couldn’t get his two seam to work in the warm-up bullpen, so he left it there. He’s been experimenting with a splitter as his off-speed pitch and couldn’t get that to work either.

I’ll add one more inning from that first game below:

Kidmullen-

Great points !

Thanks,
Brian

Pitcherdadfan-

Thanks for the feedback.

Andy throws from a natural 3/4 arm slot. I can’t visualize how his pitch hand could end at his left ankle. Wouldn’t he have to be throwing over the top to do that?

Brian

With his arm action there is every reason to believe he can throw some nice funk. Throwing a proper curve or slider isn’t a hinderance it’s an enhancement. The “don’t throw curve” thing is way past its run. If he knows how to throw one and uses it wisely he’ll be fine. Andy (Mine) has always had a plus curve (Since 12), the idea is at that age not to make it your main pitch. As a high school varsity pitcher with good training and conditioning for arm health, it is an outstanding set-up pitch and if you can throw it with a nice sharp break it’s a great wipe out pitch. Think about how it can effect an at bat if for example you start a guy with a nice hook for a strike…it makes it real hard to sit on the fb…and not just that one at bat either…the next couple are going to be looking for it.
No imho he should look to develop 4 plus pitches…6 if you count variations of the fb…as a starter.

[quote=“jdfromfla”][quote]
No imho he should look to develop 4 plus pitches…6 if you count variations of the fb…as a starter.[/quote]

JD-

How do you define a “plus” pitch? I was thinking it would be great if Andy had two “plus” pitches and one average pitch by the time he graduated.

Brian

Well a plus pitch is (As I’ve heard termed by scouts and those who speak of such things) a pitch that sets him apart from the norm. Brian your son has a live arm. That live arm can develop some really solid pitches. He already has late movement, so he’s ahead of the sophmore average.
Remember that though he was fast for a freshman, my Andy was remembered for his plus hook by the guy who later offered him a full ride. He could throw it for a strike and when at that clinic, OB told him to snap one off in the dirt he had enough command to do that and follow it up by throwing it for a strike again.
I always say 4 solid for a starter based on what I know they expect at UNF, Shepherds philosophy is that if one day the hook doesn’t work a pitcher should be able to throw the slide piece…I always count fb varients as seperate pitches, i.e. cutter, sinker are 2 seam varients that have certain characteristics that are different from a classic 4 seam. Your boy already has a clue on how to manipulate a ball for movement, which with a change gives him 4 (Well 3 I didn’t see him cut a fb in those vids) plus pitches right now.

JD-

Thanks for helping this old dog learn new tricks. It makes sense now.

Brian