Son with wacky windup

Hi-

I am the head coach of my son’s Babe Ruth Minors team this year. My son played up last year (7 going on 8) and I was an assistant coach but did not work with the pitchers. My son has asked to pitch and I’ve let him throw to me a bit to see what we have. His windup is a doozy–he looks like Paul Byrd of the Indians except that he faces 3rd base when he swings his arms and has his hands together at his belt buckle. In his windup he doesn’t bend his front leg, but rather swings it stiffly away from his body. However, his follow through looks good–he does bend his leg when he strides and he can throw the 2 seamer for strikes. When I have him pitch from the stretch he says it hurts his arm and that pitching his way he can come over the top better.
Oh, and he probably balks 3 times per pitch b/c his windup is so convoluted. I think maybe he has long arms and that could explain things.
So, do I let this kid pitch an inning or two per week? He doesn’t overthrow; he’s more of a control type.

Welcome to the forums!

By all means, let him have fun and pitch a little. But with his straight leg knee lift, watch his posture to make sure he doesn’t lean back during the knee lift. Also, there is no reason he should be concerned with or trying to throw “over the top”. Sounds like some coach fed him some conventional wisdom.

Thanks for the encouragement. I think he may be leaning slightly. When I watch him up close from the side I don’t see it but when I’m catching and thus looking at him from the front from 40 odd feet I think I see a bit of a lean.
Throwing over the top is just the natural outcome of his delivery (not the result of a coach’s input). In the past he has typically thrown (not pitched) 3/4. I’ve pitched to him a great deal and I throw more over the top so maybe he’s picked it up from me.
Also, what’s a good source for the exact rules concerning pitchers (balks, stepping off the rubber, etc)? Balks are not called at this level in our league but I ought to know that stuff.

You can find the Sporting News rules at book stores like Barnes and Noble. (It’s more of a “booklet” than a book.) Or you can read the rules online for free
http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/official_info/official_rules/foreword.jsp][u]here[/u

Note that the rules of baseball are non-trivial and what they don’t say is just as important as what they do say.

BR is just like LL - your league is required to give each manager a rule book. Kind of hard to manage a team without know the rules specific to your league and division.

Good call there, quaff. Some organizations like Little League and, apparently, Babe Ruth (with which I have no experience), publish their own complete set of rules. Other organizations like the travel ball organizations such as USSSA and Super Series publish only their own deviations from or amendments to the Sporting News Rules. In the latter case, you need both publications.

We just had our draft and rule books were handed out. Prior to the draft I wasn’t sure how many pitchers I’d land so I was working my son out. You can never have enough pitchers!

Speaking of wacky windups, I remember a guy who used to pitch for the Cincinnati Reds back in the late 50s to mid-60s. His name was Howie Nunn, he was a reliever, and he was one for the books. He wiggled and wabbled and jerked around like a rooster and threw his legs and his arms and his neck and just about every other part of his anatomy into his windup and delivery, and it all looked very funny—except to the hitters who had to face him, because he got some good stuff on his pitches and was getting the batters out!
I don’t think you need to worry about what the kid is doing—a lot of it is probably natural for him. He might, however, want to check his mechanics and see if something needs to be corrected. :slight_smile:

lol let the kid have fun. until hes out of little league. little league isnt real baseball. its for fun and fundamental

Gotta keep him excited, fix little things until he is able to handle more dramatic changes.