Son wants to hit homeruns

MY 12U son has been hitting hard line drives all spring to the wall 200ft He gets almost no lift on the ball. How would he change his swing to hit a least one homerun for season. I know getting his doubles and singles and high average is important but he just wants to hit one homerun before he leaves this age group. He uses a 31/21 F3 demarini. is batting an even .500 right now. on his travel team. He is going to start LL season next week and I was telling him it will happen there with the inferior pitching he faces and he should not change his swing. He should see a lot of hanging curve balls.

Thanks Jim

If you try to hit home runs, it doesn’t happen. If he’s hitting line drives to the wall then I’d say leave him be and he should get one if he’s really tatooing the ball like that.

When you try to adjust his swing for home runs, it will result in muscle tightness, an uppercut, and bad habits… If he is hitting line drives, the home runs will come naturally… It sounds like he doing great! Just keep encouraging him and praising him and let him know they will come naturally.

The key to hitting homeruns is backspin. And the key to getting backspin is staying inside the baseball. If you can get your son to stay inside the ball, the ball will carry, and thus homeruns can happen.

As hammer stated, backspin is the key… when you have a good line drive swing, you are doing it correctly…Where a homerun occurs is when you take that same line drive swing, but on a pitch that is in the top of the strikezone… Now the same line drive becomes a home run… Keep the same swing and they will come… The lower in the strikezone balls become gappers, the upper strikezone pitches become homers…
Keep working!

Thanks, that would explain alot. he has always been a low ball hitter and often does not swing or pops up higher pitches. we have to do some high T work and that may do the trick.

Jim

He’s probably thinking of current homerun hitters like Thome, Carlos Pena and the like…big uppercuts and the bat’s not in the zone long. The average is going to go down if he adjusts likewise.

Show him some vintage Hank Aaron. Most of his homeruns were linedrive doubles gone bad. They just ran out of room.

Home run hitters generally have a big swing with a little uppercut to it. If he is hitting line drives to the fence the home runs will come as he gets bigger and stronger. Keep the good swing that is driving the ball to the fence and keep the good average. The home run hitters strike out a lot too. I am always more scared of a guy with a short swing that drives the ball to all fields than a big swingin’ pull hitter who hits bombs. They have to hit it first :slight_smile:

Quick fix that does work, would be try and put his bat verticle up and down and less back. This will create more of a level or slight uppercutting swing, suggested by Ted Williams in his book.

I know this is an old thread but I couldn’t resist posting…

My son is 12 this year… I hate it when he hits homeruns because every time he does, he doesn’t come close to touching a ball with his bat for a week or two.

He’s a great hitter but when he gets the idea that he is a homerun hitter, it totally messes up his swing. Stick with line drives!

perfect example of be careful of what you wish for. Hes twelve. I wish i can hit a damn homerun and im 15.

[quote=“jnt1957”]I know this is an old thread but I couldn’t resist posting…

My son is 12 this year… I hate it when he hits homeruns because every time he does, he doesn’t come close to touching a ball with his bat for a week or two.

He’s a great hitter but when he gets the idea that he is a homerun hitter, it totally messes up his swing. Stick with line drives![/quote]

He should completely focus on the basic hitting fundamentals and practice those each day. The home runs will come trust me. Every home run I hit in my career was a product of taking the same approach in the batter’s box each time.

You also have to be confident each time up and have your mission in mind. You want to be able to help the team win. Maybe you need to lay a bunt down, move a runner over or hit a line drive in the gap.

Update on my son. well last year the time of post he went 26 for 36 in last year of little league majors, team went undeafeated and played in district finals. He hit no home runs but 21 of his hit were hit line drive to the fence or track and he was happy with that. This year 30 lbs and 5 inches taller he is again hitting line drives but on the big field 60/90 he has hit about a dozen balls to the 300 foot track so he knows it will be just a matter of time when he does hit some out. He hit about .400 between school and travel so his coaches say he is right on track. Thanks for the tips.

Thanks for the update. Sounds like your son is hitting well! If he keeps working hard the home runs will happen. Like you said, just a matter of time. The ball players who put in time and work hard will benefit.

Jeff…

I sent you a PM on an unrelated topic.