Son of southcarolina

I relayed your compliment on to him. I wish i could take some credit for his baseball ability, but i really cant. It would make a lot of dads sick to know how little we actually work on baseball. Its funny you mention his size, because this video is of a “travel” team that he plays on. (I put travel in quotes because we actually do very little traveling, as there is a tournament almost every weekend within 30 minutes of where we live, and we play only about 5 or 6 tournaments a year.) Whats funny is that we are not a mercenary travel team, IOW we only recruit kids that play rec ball at our local Little League. Anyway, thru some sort of crazy karma, we have like 6 kids on this team that are 5’0" or taller, and over 100lbs. The team we are playing in the video i took had one “big” kid, and he might have been the 7th or 8th biggest kid on our team. He could throw gas though. Good thing he couldnt throw a strike two pitches in a row. :smiley:

Hello again all, its that time of the year :slight_smile:

Once again i will apologize for not being around so much, but with one son playing soccer and another playing baseball, and me working swing shifts at the local widget factory, well internet screen time sometimes suffers.

Another update on the journey of my little pitcher: He is still 10 years old, and still a giant kid. He was drafted into our leagues Majors division this year, and is the third or fourth youngest player in that division as near as i can figure. We knew going into the season that pitching time would be limited, as his team is rather well stocked with 11 and 12 year olds who can pitch. But a couple of weekends ago, playing a team with 0 wins on the season, my son got the call. He would be the games second pitcher.

Anyway, im not going to bore you with results, mostly because i dont want to color the feedback i get. I am trying to be less results oriented :smiley:

What i see is a lot of the same old stuff, although i think this clip is better than the last one, especially since pitching has been more of a back burner thing for us this season. We talked about throwing with more intent, and i think that on some of these pitches he looks like he tried at least somewhat to ratchet up the velocity (the fourth pitch for example).

But i do have two questions about his delivery. I have been comparing this video to the clip of Roger Clemens in the bullpen posted i the clips forum (not a fair comparison to Roger, i know) and noticed two differences

1. My son starts with his hands lower than Roger, and they follow his knee down and away from his body, where they break outside his knee.

2. My son’s lower leg (the shin part) is angled, rather than perpindicular (again compared to the Clemens clip), to the ground at maximum knee lift height, which causes his foot to be well away from his body, as he starts his movement home.

While neither of these things seem to causing an issue, it seems to me that anything that causes your limbs to be further from the center of gravity would affect balance, and this in turn would cause other problems.

Are these two things you would fix in a 10 yr old?

Of course, as always any and all other suggestions or critiques will be gladly accepted.

I don’t know SC he looks pretty solid for 10. His arm/hand action seem a little funky…is he (In different deliveries) either forcing pronation or looks like maybe throwing a hook?..either way I’d like to actually sit with him and watch a bit before I went and made any decisions as to value good or bad of it. If you have a front view it would be easier to decide.
What you want is fundemental soundness and development at this age. Until he’s into and past puberty he will be changing…for example as he gets stronger and bigger some things like how much he’s able to use his legs, scap loading and a host of other strength oriented techniques will be there to sample from, this to me is the major differences you’ll see when you compare him to pro’s.
He’s looking good and progressing nicely, I think…both ya’ll deserve a moon pie and a grape Ne-Hi :wink:

[quote=“jdfromfla”]

I don’t know SC he looks pretty solid for 10. His arm/hand action seem a little funky…is he (In different deliveries) either forcing pronation or looks like maybe throwing a hook?..either way I’d like to actually sit with him and watch a bit before I went and made any decisions as to value good or bad of it. If you have a front view it would be easier to decide.
What you want is fundemental soundness and development at this age. Until he’s into and past puberty he will be changing…for example as he gets stronger and bigger some things like how much he’s able to use his legs, scap loading and a host of other strength oriented techniques will be there to sample from, this to me is the major differences you’ll see when you compare him to pro’s.
He’s looking good and progressing nicely, I think…both ya’ll deserve a moon pie and a grape Ne-Hi :wink:[/quote]

No hook. A couple of change ups. In this game he threw 17 pitches…the first was a swinging bunt right back to him and he threw the batter out at first ( ididnt have the camera ready and didnt get this one on film) and another one was put in play, a soft blooper than fell in between him and the second baseman. Of the other 15 pitches 2 were called strikes, one was a swinging strike, and 12 were balls. Not a good day.

:shrug:

I guess my question is more of a general what do you do when everything looks ok, the delivery looks pretty decent, there are no huge flaws, but the results are just bad. He is probably going to be counted on to pitch meaningful innings in the upcoming Minors AS tournament and pitching has gone from his favorite part of the game to his least. He has always been confident to the point of cockiness, and now its just completely strange to hear him say that he sucks. Yeah im a bad parent whose 10 yr old says sucks :slight_smile:

As for the forced pronation, that was the reason i came to this forum in the first place, and everyone said pronation is great, pronation is cool, everyones doing it…dont worry. LOL. Finally someone else sees what i do :smiley: I finally dug up this old video of him and made a gif of him…this is when he was 8. I think the pronation isnt as bad as it was then ( we worked alot this past summer/fall with the striped ball), but here it is…Its obviously not pitching, but it illustrates the issue i think

Wow how interesting, I’ve never seen a kid, “naturally” pronate so much…it’s like a diabolical Marshallite mind meld thingy deal…just kidding around :oops: sorry I’d be paying it close attention too…well yes pronation is natural and when natural…good, keeping a kids hand in the proper spot during delivery is also key though. The tape around the circumference hasn’t helped? I feel certain I mentioned that to you a some point in the past, it is an essential aspect imo (Hand behind.falling off too soon either way takes away accuracy and velocity…may be why he had a tough day). He’ll be the next Carl Hubble with that action…and Carl weren’t bad, he made it to the HOF like that but at the same time I would continue to work on him keeping his hand behind it…the tape is the best working, fastest “drill” thing I know and I certainly wasn’t the brilliant person who figured that out…I’ve seen it work though but I’m not aware of any other (Except for shadow stuff and mirror work) that can “correct” that…hopefully someone else has something.