Son is wild

I’ve posted my son on here before and most said he looked like a good prospect - his hs coach said the same thing at the beginning of the season. However, he never made it to the varsity team (he’s a 10th grader) because he was so wild. He rarely gets hit (good pop on fastball), but he hits lots of people :shock:

The last couple of weeks I’ve been working with him and some days he’s better than others. I caught him last night for a session and it was terrible. He would throw a billiant fast ball with lots of natural lefty movement and then three balls in a row over my head. In general, he is wild. Great movement on all pitches, but little control. Any suggestions? This is not for a lack of effort - he runs, lifts weights, eats right, jumps rope, reads this board, etc. He just can’t find it.

I’d suggest looking first at what his head does. Try to get him to take his head straight to the target with no movement left or right, back, or up or down. Keeping the head going in one direction only will help improve consistency.

If you find his head takes a big dip as he strides, have him adjust his starting stance so that his knees are bent more and he is in a lower position right from the get-go.

I am in the same position with a younger guy on my team. Huge arm but all over the place.

First, Sandy Koufax had to take a few MPH off the ball to get control of it.

Make sure his eyes are absolutely locked on the target (e.g. the glove). He could be hitting the batter because he is inadvertently looking at the batter (especially guys crowding the plate).

This suggests that the problem is mental. Lack of focus, lack of concentration, lack of lock on the target, or just plain thinking. He could also be thinking about HOW he is pitching (e.g. his mechanics) versus WHAT he wants to do (e.g. focusing on the target). In my experience, I am only successful when I lock in on the glove and let my body do what it knows how to do.

I have considered having some of my guys take karate or another one of the martial arts to learn focus and concentration.

Is the movement consistent? If not, then that could explain why it’s hard to control. He could be cutting the ball slightly differently with each throw.

Is his release point consistent? You can figure this out by taping a series of pictures from the front and make sure he releases the ball at the same point and time with each throw.

Agreed.

In general, make sure he isn’t taking his eyes off the target.

In particular, make sure he isn’t jerking the head off the target due to trying to throw too hard with his arm (and not enough with his body). Also, make sure his glove-side arm isn’t getting in the way of his view of the target.

An update:
Although my son did not get pulled up to the varsity squad as we thought he would be, he is playing in a pretty competitve Little League that actually had All Stars that made it all the way to final four last year in our state. My son played on that team.

Anyway, he pitched yesterday for five innings and only walked two, and did not hit any:D Only allowed one earned run :slight_smile: Not sure what made the difference except we decided to just go have fun without worrying too much about mechanics. He did try to stay on top of the ball without jerking his head as he threw while trying to stay closed as long as possible.

Question: Although he threw his fastball well he did struggle some with his curve. He is left handed and when he throws the curve he tends to pull inside and in the dirt on a righty. Any advice? BTW, he is 15 (16 in July) and throws a decent change-up as well.

[quote=“shermanreed”]Not sure what made the difference except we decided to just go have fun without worrying too much about mechanics.[/quote]Sherman. This is EXACTLY what you want in games. Worrying about mechanics is for practice sessions and the off-season. On the mound, just play the game.