Son dislocated pitching shoulder

My son 12, dislocated his pitching shoulder playing hockey, he took a hard hit into the boards squarely on the shoulder. doc say’s it popped out and in quickly. there are no fractures or dislocation now. but he still has sharp pain in and on top of the shoulder. it’s been 4 days, he is in a sling. I’m sick over this. the kid is really a good pitcher. we watched pitch counts, iced, proper rest, took really good care of his arm this year and now this!
the doc say’s he’ll be ok, but I’m worried. any advice would be great how long should the pain last. has any one else gone thru this. is his pitching career over. help!!!

Rest, continued visits to the Doctor and when he says that he can get back to throwing then and only then would I start.

Dang shame…good luck to the kid!

My apologies if I repeat information previously posted. I only mean to present some context for my opinion:

My son suffered a devastating head injury at about the same age. It was during the summer and he lost an entire tournament season because of it. I was sick about it at the time too. I even blamed my wife when obviously she had actually saved his life. But time seems to help with perspective. Fully recovered, the injury went from holding him back to launching him forward. He knew he had come close to never pitching again, his appreciation for the opportunity to do it again and again and again grew. It grew to the point where he over-achieved based on his average talent level. It grew into a passion. The doctors said he recovered so quickly because , 1. he was young 2. he was an athlete and 3. he was driven to keep playing baseball, basketball and hockey.

I know what it feels like to treasure that arm. Every time he rubs it a certain way, mentions a tweak here and there, you are all over him, “Hey how’s that arm kid?” Truth is we have precious little control over these things and that’s what drives us crazy. I hope he responds well to the treatment and fully recovers, then you can look back at this and have a laugh. Until then he’ll be looking at you for encouragement, he’ll be looking for that tiny sign of worry on the old man’s face. “No sweat kid, everything’s going to be just fine.”

I would question the doc about whether the dislocation has weakened the integrity of the shoulder and, if so or even if just possibly, then I’d inquire about some physical therapy as well as an at-home routine for after the therapy to strengthen the muscles that help stabilize the joint.

Just to play it safe. If the doc agrees.

Tell him Tom Glavine was a hockey player in his youth, playing baseball only 3 months a year. Tell him to focus on his recovery, follow his doctor’s advice, and not worry about the time off.

son had a MRI yesterday, will see the doc on thursday hoping for good news. he’s been doing rubber band exercises. say’s it’s getting better. just has a dull ache on the outside. did have some clicking/cracking sounds every now and then. but that seems to be gone since he’s doing the exercises. just an update. thank’s for the advice.

went to the ortho today. son has a partial rotator cuff tear. due to a partial dislocation because of instability in his shoulder.
he will undergo 4 weeks 3x PT to see how it responds. and may need to have it scoped if PT doesn’t work out. all because of hockey. doc say’s he will be fine and will be able to pitch and play baseball. we are going to really focus on strengthening his shoulder.
thanks for this website. it has helped with all the stress. any advice would really be appreciated.

son starts PT today 3x for 4 weeks then reval. he say’s it’s getting better just a very mild dull ache. has full range of motion all around. hopefully the PT will help.and no scope is needed.

Good luck to your son.

Hi All,
I wanted to give an update on my son. he has been going to PT 3x aweek for the last 6weeks working very hard and is really getting strong. He went an saw one of the best shoulder ortho docs here in CT.
The doc reviewed all of his XRAYS AND MRI as well as doing abunch of tests. he was impressed with my son, SAY’S THE SHOULDER IS VERY STABLE, and said the previous ortho doc was wrong he did not have a partial torn rotator cuff or labrum he want’s him to continue PT for 3 more weeks and continue with all the shoulder excercises thru-out the season and there is no reason he can’t start throwing NOW!.
he is very happy to say the least. just wanted to say thanks for the feedback. HAPPY HOLIDAYS :slight_smile:

That’s great news.

Great news, indeed.

That sounds like great news!!!

Please consider my words as advice from a side of this sport that no one really wants to hear. I have no side one-way-or-the-other, to take.

Your son is taking on this work load for a reason. Perhaps to play ball further down the line, even at the college level. So, to focus on the future with a purpose, I would suggest the following:

** e-mail a certified trainer at every college and university that is within the price range that your son might be looking at, and ask this question:
What is your advice to the Skipper (head coach) of your organization if a pitcher dislocates his shoulder, at any point in his college career?.Basically, frame your question in a format that approaches the subject with a " I’m interested in how your college or university takes care of its student athletes?" You might have to go one step further and give some kind of “degree of dislocation”

Don’t offer your son’s experience. You don’t want to tell them in advance that your son has this problem - regardless how well he’s doing now.

Your e-mail should want to know, how and if, a student athlete will be retained on the college or university’s roster, or will he be released - gone for good.

I have never, in all my coaching experiences, witnessed a pitcher coming off a shoulder dislocation, having any degree of sucess with respect to staying on a club, in any capacity. Now I could be dead wrong - big time, with respect to other coaches and the organizations that they work for.

I would do this yourself, privately, without informing your son. See what you and your son will be up against later on. Once you have more “future” information, you’ll be able to handle things better.

Also, your current insurance policy should be reviewed. Your policy may have “experience limits”. Shoulder injuries, then heavy activity involving the shoulder - like pitching, may have a qualification that may come back to bite you. I’ve seen it.

I hope you and family enjoy the Holiday Season, and I send my best wishes for great new season.

Coach B.