Someone please explain to me how this is not a balk

Pretty much all of his moves in the video look like they are balks to me. Someone please elaborate here

[quote=“mn75fb”]Pretty much all of his moves in the video look like they are balks to me. Someone please elaborate here

I’d call a balk on every one of those moves. His first move is towards home every time.

Hose

The one at 0:39 is most definitely a 100% balk. The angle you are allowed is 45 degrees. He is at almost 80 degrees. (Meaning he nearly stepped straight at home…)

Everyone knows lefties cheat. :lookup:

Who likes lefties anwyays. I’d say baulk. It’s exately what Santana did against the yanks the other night. A-rod stole before santana went home so Santana tried to get him and baulked. He went home but tried making it look like he was trying to pick him off. But no harm was done becuase he knew they wouldn’t get him out anyways. With a good jump like that.

Lefties get away with murder on pick off moves. 45 degree angle my butt. Try getting away with 45 degrees to third base as a RHP. I bet you get a balk called every time!

can someone explain the rule

So the mound to home is your 180 degrees. The mound to first/third is the 90 degree angle. You can step a maximum of 45 degrees out when picking to first or third which gives you have the distance between that L.

Actually I think you can go 45 inbetween strait at him and at home. It’s hard to understand what your saying. If strait at first is 90 then its 135 max.

You got your geometry a little out of wack, man. The mound to first is 0 degrees. The mound to home is 90 degrees, and the mound to third is 180 degrees.

Exactly. You can’t point 90 degrees in two directions if you consider a full circle to be 360 degrees. (The mound to second is 270 degrees or your opposite 90.)

Technically, there is no rule granting the 45 degree thing. The rule simply states you must step toward the base you’re throwing to. The question is, what constitutes stepping toward the base? How offline from the base can you step yet still be considered to be stepping toward the base?

It’s the interpretation of the rule that most umpires share that allows for the 45 degree thing. For high school, there is a case book that accompanies the rule book and it gives example situations and presents recommended interpretations of the rules. I believe the case book does mention the 45 degree thing.

[quote=“Roger”]Technically, there is no rule granting the 45 degree thing. The rule simply states you must step toward the base you’re throwing to. The question is, what constitutes stepping toward the base? How offline from the base can you step yet still be considered to be stepping toward the base?

It’s the interpretation of the rule that most umpires share that allows for the 45 degree thing. For high school, there is a case book that accompanies the rule book and it gives example situations and presents recommended interpretations of the rules. I believe the case book does mention the 45 degree thing.[/quote]

Agreed. There is no rule that states, 45 degrees. The rule states that you have to gain distance and direction towards the base. Thus leaving it up to the umpires interpretation.

Like others have stated us lefties do get away with a bit more :wink: . I’ve always been taught, to push the “45 degree” rule as far as you can early in the game. If they don’t call it then push it more; now obviously you don’t go crazy with it and step straight home and pick but just be more generous with it. Also when you do pick to first it helps when you walk off the rubber as soon as you pick so the ump doesn’t get a clear look at it.

Just my two cents…

thankyou

[quote=“Hammer”][quote=“Roger”]Technically, there is no rule granting the 45 degree thing. The rule simply states you must step toward the base you’re throwing to. The question is, what constitutes stepping toward the base? How offline from the base can you step yet still be considered to be stepping toward the base?

It’s the interpretation of the rule that most umpires share that allows for the 45 degree thing. For high school, there is a case book that accompanies the rule book and it gives example situations and presents recommended interpretations of the rules. I believe the case book does mention the 45 degree thing.[/quote]

Agreed. There is no rule that states, 45 degrees. The rule states that you have to gain distance and direction towards the base. Thus leaving it up to the umpires interpretation.[/quote]
he had all his weight moving towards home and he basically did step to home plate. 100% baulk