Some feedback for a Dutch Pitcher, please

Hello everyone,

First, thanks for the welcome messages to my introduction post.

Hereby I want to introduce my son, Sem. He is 9 years old. This year he will be playing at Little League level as a pitcher in The Netherlands. Last season he played in a level after Tee ball (I believe that is Minor League in the US) with coach pitch.

They wanted him to play in a Little League team already last year, but I didn’t want that. He had only played for one year and he just turned 8. I figured that it all was going too fast for him. Because if this didn’t work out for him he might just quit baseball. I taught him how to throw in Tee Ball and last year I taught him how to pitch. He is an eager student, just like a sponge he absorbs all the information he receives.

This is a story I want to share with you (because I am so proud of him)
Last season he was asked to play the final game with the little league team of our club. The first inning he played at center field. After the first inning he asked the coach if he could pitch and the coach, somewhat surprised by his question (me too, knowing that he is a little bit shy) agreed with him and send him to the mound.
What I saw made me so extremely proud. When he started to warm up everybody looked at him with open mouths. Then the first batter was up and Sem struck him out with only three balls. The second batter struck out and the third batter also. The crowd, coaches, players, my dad and I could not believe what we saw. Everything Sem and I practiced worked out very well. They let him pitch another inning and yet again he struck out two more, got one hit, struck out another and he won the game. His grandfather and I were really proud of him. And so was everybody on his team.

Before his first pitching performance I didn’t know if he was capable of pitching at this level, but now I know he can. But how does it look really? Have I learned him the proper mechanics so far? Do we have to work on something?
He throws about 45 miles an hour. We work on his control right now. I’ve made a canvas tarp for him with the strike zone divided into 9 sections. Whenever he wants he goes outside with a bag of balls and throws at it. Or he goes out with his brother (age 6 and a catcher) and they throw a couple of balls.

Please, give me some feedback.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks.

Ray

He looks good, just a few things to think about with his delivery. First off, he crosses the leg lift over his body, it isn’t a mechanical fault, but the longer he plays, the easier it will be for someone to steal on him with this.

Also, at the end of his pitching motion, make sure he follows through with the foot in the air and plants it, otherwise he is leaving momentum behind, which means he is leaving mph behind.

You have done a good job teaching him so far!

@CSOleson
Thank you for your fast reply.

I’ve missed the crossing of the legs.

The thing you mentioned about his follow through was exactly what Sem and I talked about today. I told him he needs to get ready to field the ball.

But I can mold him into a real pitcher, slowly.

Thanks again for your remarks.

Ray

[quote=“Ray”]@CSOleson
Thank you for your fast reply.

I’ve missed the crossing of the legs.

The thing you mentioned about his follow through was exactly what Sem and I talked about today. I told him he needs to get ready to field the ball.

But I can mold him into a real pitcher, slowly.

Thanks again for your remarks.

Ray[/quote]
No problem. You have the right idea, take everything slowly, make sure he understands why as well as how, because then it will make more sense to have him change what he is doing. I wish you both the best of luck!

In my opinion as a fellow baseball dad he looks excellent - better than any other 9 y.o. I’ve seen in person or on video.

@Doublebag
Thank you very much for your compliment.

Ray

He looks good. I wouldn’t even worry about what kind of control he has now.

I would focus on making him as athletic as possible. Lot’s of long toss and crow hop (outfield) type throws. Athletic throws & drill work (fielding ground balls and throwing etc…).

Not so much “stagnant” type of work (like in this clip) where he is trying to “look” like a pitcher. Work on throwing “capability” rather than learning how to pitch.

Let him play other sports too! Being a good athlete has tons of carry over into being a good baseball pitcher/player.

@101mph
Thanks for your comment.
Sorry for my late reaction. I have a few questions.

Is control something for later concern?

I am not sure if I understand this. We just need to leave it as it is now and just let him throw and grow strong?

Looking forward to your reply, thanks.

Ray[/qt]

you have a PM