Snakeball

Has anyone ever heard of a snakeball. Dean Chance is the only pitcher I have ever known to have thrown a snakeball, In a Halo magazine article in the 1980’s He claimed he was limited to a fastball, a snakeball and a super snakeball. He said the snakeball was a home brewed pitch that was like a one pronged forkball. I also read in another article that he threw a fastball, a sinker and a side armed curve. Does anyone know anything about this pitch?and if so, how it was thrown and how it move? Thanks.

David

It look me a few minutes before I could stop laughing at this one.
I’ve certainly heard of “snake jazz”; in fact, in my playing days I threw it—a good assortment of breaking pitches. But a “snakeball”? I was sure someone was putting everybody on, but then I went to Paul Dickson’s baseball dictionary—the new expanded third edition, which I have in my library—and looked it up. He gives two definitions of the term. The first is simply a curveball, and by that definition everybody who throws any kind of curve has it. The second falls into another category—a breaking pitch which, if caught by the wind, seems to undulate on its way to the plate, something like the fabled “double curve” of years past. Dean Chance called it a “one-pronged forkball”, and we all know what that is.
A changeup.
I’m willing to bet that a lot of pitchers, in the course of experimenting with different grips, have come up with this one. I’ve said this many times—there’s nothing new under the sun, and that applies to breaking pitches. :lol: :baseballpitcher:

Thanks for the clarification