Smoking and Pitching...?

I was just wondering how much smoking has on pitching in regards to velocity, accuracy, and obviously stamina… doing a research paper and just wondering what feedback you guys had. thanks!

I’ve read a few studies that nicotine reduces performance, so that would certainly include smoking, chewing, dipping, etc. I think smoking is even worse for pitchers than other position players (except catchers) purely from an on-field standpoint because of the endurance required by pitching. In other words, you don’t have a much time between pitches to catch your breath that position players might have…

I completely understand that smoking is very tough to quit … if you’re facing this uphill battle, I truly wish you all the best and hope you’re successful in quitting!

Hi Steve! I’m back. I had to take my computer to the repair shop because I was having an issue with it—every time I started up a message from Microsoft would appear and tell me that I should consider upgrading the BIOS, whatever that is. The repairman checked everything out and told me that there’s nothing the matter with it, that the BIOS is up to date—so my guess is that Microsoft was just screwing around.
Now I’m going to scan this bunch of stuff and see if there is anything I can contribute. :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

The Japanese have tons of pro players who smoke, often between innings. Google searching the Japanese could help.

A lot of old timers did, too. But saying Japanese pitchers do it to justify smoking and pitching is weak. The best pitchers in the world are here in the United States in the MLB (with the exception of a few Cuban pitchers, perhaps). And they, on the whole, do not smoke or don’t smoke regularly.

A lot of old timers did, too. But saying Japanese pitchers do it to justify smoking and pitching is weak. The best pitchers in the world are here in the United States in the MLB (with the exception of a few Cuban pitchers, perhaps). And they, on the whole, do not smoke or don’t smoke regularly.[/quote]

I wasn’t justifying smoking. The OP said he’s working on a research paper–I figured that would help.

Smoking DOES hurt your overall condition…
Does this hurt your pitching? Yes and No.

Smoking won’t make you weaker (so throw the ball less hard) or screw up your location but you’ll have more trouble throwing complete games cause of your weak condition.

So it doesn’t neccesarilly hurt your pitching itself but mainly you being an athletic sporter.

With regard to smoking, using steroids, or any other things that are sure to have deleterious effects, I have this to say in four words:
BE SMART. DON’T START. 8)

A lot of old timers did, too. But saying Japanese pitchers do it to justify smoking and pitching is weak. The best pitchers in the world are here in the United States in the MLB (with the exception of a few Cuban pitchers, perhaps). And they, on the whole, do not smoke or don’t smoke regularly.[/quote]

Sorry, to be on topic I agree with what everyone is saying about it not affecting overall strength and mechanics, but more it affecting stamina…

But what about Yu Darvish?