Smaller Pitchers

I was wondering out of the video clips of pitchers on this site which ones are the smallest in stature? Because with me only being 5’10’’ and 185, I don’t want to focus on how big ol’ Roy Holliday throws, I want to look at someone who closely resembles my stature.

You are about the same height as Billy Wagner. You are 2" taller than Mike Marshall was when he pitched in MLB and won a Cy Young award. Tim Lincecum is about your height. On the other hand, Randy Johnson is easily a whole foot taller than your height-group. So what?

Within reason, height by itself has nothing to do with who pitches well and who doesn’t. 5’10" is obviously within reason for the sake of this discussion.

Height, by itself, should probably also not be used to define whose mechanics you might want to emulate.

Better, you should learn how to refine and optimize the pitching signature you have.

Height doesn’t necessarily matter, but some shorter pitchers include Roy Oswalt and Pedro Martinez. There was also a pitcher who grew like 7 inches after he graduated high school…but I can’t remember who that was.

edit: that pitcher is Erik Bedard, who was 5’4", 120 lbs in high school.

[quote=“ltdan”]Height doesn’t necessarily matter, but some shorter pitchers include Roy Oswalt and Pedro Martinez. There was also a pitcher who grew like 7 inches after he graduated high school…but I can’t remember who that was.

edit: that pitcher is Erik Bedard, who was 5’4", 120 lbs in high school.[/quote]

ya. he threw 74 freshman year of college, when he got drafted he was throwing 90’s.

Height doesn’t matter to much(but if ur smart, u can take advantage of it).
If you don’t believe everyone who is saying this, than let me give you a scenario. I am 6’4.5’’ 245lbs (solid) and i throw 87-90, while my best friend who is 5’11’’ throws 89-92. Just goes to show height doesn’t matter…much

[quote=“pitchking807”]Height doesn’t matter to much(but if ur smart, u can take advantage of it).
If you don’t believe everyone who is saying this, than let me give you a scenario. I am 6’4.5’’ 245lbs (solid) and i throw 87-90, while my best friend who is 5’11’’ throws 89-92. Just goes to show height doesn’t matter…much[/quote]

Yellow hammer?

[quote=“hoseman18”][quote=“pitchking807”]Height doesn’t matter to much(but if ur smart, u can take advantage of it).
If you don’t believe everyone who is saying this, than let me give you a scenario. I am 6’4.5’’ 245lbs (solid) and i throw 87-90, while my best friend who is 5’11’’ throws 89-92. Just goes to show height doesn’t matter…much[/quote]

Yellow hammer?[/quote]

An old fashioned curveball (a real curveball). Hardly anyone throws a yellow hammer anymore

height comes into play once the draft becomes a concern for a baseball player.

Undersized righties(6ft and below) arnt considered projectable and less likely to be look at by scouts.

Obviously there are exceptions to that, but from most of the scouts i’ve talked to it rings true.

[quote=“MaineBall”]height comes into play once the draft becomes a concern for a baseball player.

Undersized righties(6ft and below) arnt considered projectable and less likely to be look at by scouts.

Obviously there are exceptions to that, but from most of the scouts i’ve talked to it rings true.[/quote]

:frowning: . So there is no hope for me being 5’2" and 140 lbs… Guess I got to work on my coaching skills!

just because your tall doesn’t mean you have different mechanics than smaller pitcher or worse mechanics than a smaller pitcher

Having longer limbs means you can be less explosive and throw the same speed (I think)

How tall are you, spencer?