Small Town Kid, Big City Dreams

I going to be a sophomore in high school this fall. I played with the freshman and jv teams last spring and jv with one varsity appearance in the summer. I’ll list some general info
6’2
I don’t know how hard I throw but not hard probably top 73-75
4 seam, 2 seam (work in progress), circle change, curve
Here are my stats from freshman ball
21 Innings
34 total runs( we had a horrible defense)
16 K’s
12 bb
Record 2-3
I also thought I threw well in the summer with three wins in 6 starts.
Goals: Varsity as a sophomore
All State selection
State Championship
College Ball
I’m starting my off season workouts tomorrow so we’ll see what happens.

This morning I worked out but it wasn’t all that organized. One of the assistant coaches gave me a football player workout to do because I’m trying to gain weight. Then the pitching coach looked it over and crossed off a lot of stuff. I did dumbbell bench press (if that’s what its called), pull ups, leg press, squats, and some core stuff. I also ran some sprints and played long toss. Might try to throw a flat ground tomorrow. I also hit a lot. Some more info I play third base and some outfield but its rare. I need to find a solid throwing program because I would like to get up in the 80’s.

I’ve been researching nutrition and took health class last year so I am going to try to get a steady nutritional diet going. I need a lot of calories but I want them to be good calories not junk food. I don’t drink soda so that isn’t a problem but it could be hard because I don’t chose what my family eats for dinner. I am going to get a lot of fruits and veggies in and chicken but I don’t really care for fish so that eliminates a good lean protein. I also would like to play on a travel team but my mom says we don’t have the money to let me do that. Also my dad is the head varsity coach so I am the coaches son and I always feel added pressure because of that.

Today was a little bit of an off day I guess. The only throwing I am going to get in is catch with my brother in the yard. I worked on agility for the most part in my workouts today but also did some triceps and back. I also got some good rounds in the cage today. Definitely going to be playing long toss tomorrow. My brother isn’t that good of a workout and catch partner because he is two years younger and really lazy. Might ask some teammates if they want to do it but they probably wouldn’t want to wake up in the morning. I know its really early to be talking about colleges but I would like to go to Kansas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, or New Mexico or Texas Tech. I also have some d2 schools and jucos that have some guys that used to go to my high school.

STACK has some pretty good baseball workouts. They are on the web. You’ve probably got a bucket of balls. You don’t need a long toss partner if you have one. Throw balls, walk to balls, throw back. A partner is more fun but you have to overcome if you don’t have a partner. IF you have a good attitude and work hard, no one can question your effort. You won’t get static for being the coach’s son. Or at least you will know it is not valid. That is what counts most.

This is just my opinion. Take it for what its worth. Your goal should be to be the best you can be. I would drop the varsity as a sophomore if playing JV made me a better player in the long run because I got more innings. You might also feel less pressure if you are not playing varsity. You know your situation better than I do. I just want you to give your best shot no matter where you you play. College coaches notice that too. It sounds like you are starting to catch fire for the game. Keep it up.

best regards,

Ted

Thanks for your input I appreciate it! I will probably use the STACK workout so thanks for informing me about that.
As for today, I didn’t do anything except for throw. I was planning on doing workouts on every week day except Wednesday.
I will also try to get a video of my mechanics up tomorrow. I feel like I am not getting enough out of my lower body. Any and all input on my mechanics will be much appreciated. I also need to work on making sure I don’t get the ball to my ear because I had the tendency to do that sometimes and it isn’t good in any regard. I feel like I throw the ball much harder from third base than I do off the mound.

I will also probably switch my workout to Monday, Wednesday, Friday, with speed days on Tuesday and Thursday. I will also probably try to start throwing flatgrounds on Tuesday and Thursday as well.

Aha. Someone else who needs to know about “THE SECRET”.
I learned it many moons ago, when I used to go to the original Yankee Stadium and watch the pitchers in pregame practice. I watched the Yanks’ Big Three pitching rotation, and I saw what they were doing and how they were doing it. They were all driving off the lower half of the body, using the legs, the hips and the torso in one continuous motion to create a nonstop flow of energy all the way up through the body to the shoulder and arm, all the way to the fingertips, thus generating more power behind their pitches so they could throw harder and faster with less effort; those guys knew that the use of the lower body is the real key to a pitcher’s power. I made a note of this and started working on it on my own—with spectacular results. And later on, one of them—Eddie Lopat, who became my de facto pitching coach for almost four seasons—helped me refine this and other moves and turned me into a devastating sidearmer with a lethal crossfire.
A good place to start would be the so-called “Hershiser” drill, which aims at getting the hips fully involved. No special equipment is needed, just a fence
or a wall. Remember that the hips are the connection between the two halves of the body, and once that connection is established you can go on from there. Best of luck! :idea:

Thanks I will definitely work on that!
As for today, I had a dentist appointment and I didn’t have a ride to get me to the school (where I work out). I came home and didn’t really do much. I played catch with my brother and did some things on my own like push ups, sit ups, and those things. I will try to get a video of my mechanics and put it up tomorrow. I feel like I am not pushing off my back leg enough but when I try to do that the knee collapses and it isn’t good. Any suggestions?

Very disappointed with today. Again, did not have a ride to school so I couldn’t work out. Again the only catch is in the back yard but its better than nothing. Next week I will make sure that I get up there every day. I will also post a mechanics video when I have a mound available. Also, does anybody know ways to gain velocity quickly? I want to get up to 80 by next season so I will use the gun and see what I’m at now. My guess is low 70’s.

So far this week I have been working out pretty hard. I got a little bit of throwing in but it rained so I couldn’t go outside to throw long toss but I did do a little bit of band work. If anyone knows a good band routine please share. I love hearing everyone’s different ideas and approaches to pitching and all the things that come with it. I have learned a lot since I discovered this website. Also, I have a video of my mechanics, but I cant figure out how to upload it. Even though I am right handed, I kind of modeled my mechanics off of my favorite pitcher Scott Kazmir. I have liked him since his days with Tampa Bay. He doesn’t throw the hardest but locates well and has good offspeed and has some run on his fastball from what I have seen. I’ll report back after I workout tomorrow. [/wmp][/GVideo]

Worked out today. Today was lower body and agility. I worked on my ground ball technique, played catch, and hit. This week has felt very productive. I have also gained two pounds so I am up to 157. I want to try to be at 165 and school starts in about a month. Also, I posted the video of my mechanics. Please leave your input I would greatly appreciate it.

Well this week was really good. I worked out hard every day and I feel great. I played catch too but it was rainy all week so no long toss. Next week I will definitely get some long toss in. After taking about two weeks off I am starting to find my stroke again at the plate. My bat speed seems to be improving a lot and I am hitting the ball harder with a wood bat then I did last year with a metal bat. My curve also seems to be breaking better than it used to. My change up is my best pitch but for some reason I had some trouble throwing it at the end of the summer ball season. It has also been feeling better but the two seam hasn’t made much progress. I am thinking about dropping the 2 seam all together but I would like to have four pitches. If I can get all three pitches to being above average then I would be fine but I feel like if I could get four “plus” pitches then I could be very effective. I also am thinking about trying to move back to shortstop. I played in middle school but played third last year. I know I have gotten faster so I think I have a better chance to play short now. Also, I would like to find a team to play on in the offseason. Mainly because I love to play but also to make me a better player. A fall ball team that maybe plays in the winter as well. I just want to play. If anybody knows a travel team that I could try to play for in north Texas, Oklahoma, or south Kansas please let me know

School starts in less than a month and I know that every other high school kid is dreading it but I am kind of excited. I can’t wait to be back on the field practicing with my teammates. From my pitching, I think that my curve is becoming a pretty good pitch. I also gained two pounds last week so that’s good. I think gaining about one pound per week for the rest of the year will get me to where I would like to be in the weight department. I am lifting hard and will continue to do that but it won’t be as much when school starts. Everyone go look at my mechanics video on the last page and tell me what you guys think! Now is the time to make improvements, in the offseason!

This week has been really good in the workout department other than Monday! I am up to 159.8 so I have basically gained five pounds. I’m liking my routine but I am going to add some more leg work and cardio to it. I didn’t have anyone to play long toss with this week and it was 102 degrees the whole week but I still got work in. I got a bucket of baseballs went to centerfield and threw the ball to home. It also gave me a chance to work on some outfield. I also set up a net at first base and threw the ball over from third, short, and second (I play every infield position). My hitting has been alright this week. I struggled at the beginning of the week because I hit off the pitching machine set to high school fast (Casey machine) which I’m guessing is low to mid 80’s but the machine isn’t 60 feet away its about 48 feet away so it seemed a lot harder. But I am starting to get the hang of it and hit the ball more solid. I am using wood to help my development as a hitter. I’m also going to start using a weighted ball a little bit and see how that works. Also, I would really love to hear what you guys have to say so leave some replies and help me out a little!

Good job on the weight gain.
For naturally skinny guys gaining weight can be tough.
Lots of protein with those calories.
One option for a pitch is cutting the fastball. It is easier on the arm than say a slider and can be an effective pitch. The thing to remember with a cut FB is not how big the movement is but how late it breaks. This can take some work and messing with grip.
Your mechanics look pretty smooth but there is not much intent. As Zita mentioned more intent is needed.
What are you doing in terms of working out?

Thanks fearsomefour and I have been doing a mixture of things from different sources from my available resources. We have some weight stuff in the back of our hitting cages at my school. There is a bench press, inclined bench press, leg press, and there are dumbells and a thing that you can do pull up, chin ups, and dips on. I can also do squats and there is a treadmill. One of the assistant coaches gave me a workout sheet and then I used a little bit of STACK and then our pitching coach has a core workout routine that I do as well. I run on the treadmill and if it’s not too hot I run on the field. I also work on sprints and some agility things. I also do push ups and sit ups and all the easy basic stuff. And what do you mean by intent? Like more momentum?
Also my hitting is coming along well and I threw some long toss today. I am hitting college fastballs and curves out of the machine so that gives me a lot of confidence.
Current weight: 162
I will try so use the radar gun tomorrow to see how hard I throw.

Any chance you could post the ab workout? I’ve been looking for a good one for a while now.

ReMartin2, I don’t have a copy of it but I could get one and post it. I will try to do it by memory.
Crunches
Crunches with knees to the left and right
Leg lifts
Bicycles
Plank
Side Plank
Russian Twists (Not sure if that’s what their called)

I suggest Insanity that’s what we do in the winter and its killer.
There is also a workout video from the 1980’s ( I think) but it has a guy named Gus and that was the hardest workout I have ever done in my life. I couldn’t move after my entire body was aching.
Hope that helps!

Sidenote: I changed my profile name to Astro25. Same person from AW17. I like the Astros and my number is 25 so I kind of liked it.
Back on the baseball topic. I am going to play around with some different fastball variations. I don’t know much about the sinker. Does it add strain to the arm or is it harmless? I might try a splitter because I have mildly large hands and long fingers so I can grip it with ease but I don’t want the added arm strain. I have messed with a cutter before but nothing too great. Might commit to that and try to develop it. The 2-seam is coming along nice. I threw it last year and got some K’s with it. In a video my mom took during a game it looked pretty good. So sinker, splitter, or cutter?