Slowing down the arm

If i am going to utilize the scaps and chest to aid in acceleration, ie…retracting the scaps (pinching) to aid in speeding up the arm, shouldn’t I protract (releasing and lengthening the distance between the scaps) the scaps to slow down the arm? I would like to hear your responses on this one. I know that a lot of guys are teaching overpronating the arm to decelerate and while pronation is naturally what the arm does should that be an emphasis. By pronating the forearm slows down the elbow which in turn slows down the shoulder and keeps it from slamming at the shoulder. My thought is if you want to slow down the arm allow it to coast by protracting the shoulders. Afterall, isn’t the elbow, wrist and hand a slave to the shoulders???

Baseballthinktank.com, reading your post I think you are way overthinking the action of throwing a baseball and in this case how to slow the arm action down. Some of your ideas are spot on but should only be worked on when there is issue with how a pitcher throws a ball. What actions are you specifically trying to address? IS there something about your arm speed that is truely causing issues or what?

My thoughts of the most important thing to slow arm action isn’t really what the arm does but what you do with the bottom half, a good high finish with the right leg (if you are a right handed pitcher) will help slow down the arm.

[quote=“buwhite”]Baseballthinktank.com, reading your post I think you are way overthinking the action of throwing a baseball and in this case how to slow the arm action down. Some of your ideas are spot on but should only be worked on when there is issue with how a pitcher throws a ball. What actions are you specifically trying to address? IS there something about your arm speed that is truely causing issues or what?

My thoughts of the most important thing to slow arm action isn’t really what the arm does but what you do with the bottom half, a good high finish with the right leg (if you are a right handed pitcher) will help slow down the arm.[/quote]

Buwhite, great point!!! I totally agree. I just wanted to hear opinions. I strongly believe the deceleration begins with the lower half and that there should only be focus when there is an issue. I don’t agree with the finish of the throwing leg, I think that is a result of momentum, the ability to firm up the front leg and stabilize/transfer energy up the train and other variables but I still like your response. Thanks!