Slow Squat

When I squat, I am very slow off the box. Once I’m a couple inches off the box, I fly up, and the bar usually bounces off my shoulders. I’m doing box jumps to try and fix this slow start, but does anybody have any other tips to make me more explosive in my squat?

Just get stronger. Then you won’t have to worry about it. :slight_smile:

But seriously, it’s not that big of a deal.

1. consider using bands or chains if the top part of the ROM is too easy. Alternatively, consider making the bottom half of the ROM more challenging with 1.5 reps or pause squats (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAVXST5cPS8)

2. consider working your posterior chain a bit more, it sounds like you might be quad dominant. The bottom of the squat really hits the glutes and hamstrings a lot harder, so this may be a weak area for you. Deadlifts, RDLs, glut hams are your friend.

3. it’s possible you don’t have an issue at all, and like Kyle said, just keep getting stronger. If you were a powerlifter though and that was your sticking point, those are some ways you could blast through it.

good luck

I forgot to mention that I’ve been doing more glute-ham raises as well. I think I’ll give those 1.5 rep squats a try on Saturday, they look tough. Thanks for the help fellas.

On another note for Lefty, I’m thinking about transferring schools for next fall, I’m an exercise physiology major (you are too?) and I’m just wondering if you know of any schools up north that have good programs for that. Thank you both

Ball State and UConn have very well-regarded kinesiology/exercise science programs.

Thank you very much sir :slight_smile:

I can’t speak for other schools, but UMD was ranked #3 for undergrad kinesiology, and I’m really really unimpressed by it. The rankings are more or less meaningless because it’s just looking at faculty research, papers published, etc. Students never actually interact with most of these people. Maybe other schools are different, but the major here is so broad and rigid that it’s very watered down by the end. Between the extensive university Core requirements and the rigid major structure, it’s impossible to get any classes you want to take before junior or senior year.

I’d recommend looking less at rankings and more at how customizable the major is and whether you’ll be able to take the classes you want to take and pursue your individual interests. I’ve already decided I’m gonna have to go to grad school at some point because a kinesiology undergrad is essentially useless at least from what i’ve seen so far.

Colleges have become so concerned with ensuring that all their students are “Well-rounded” (whatever the hell that means), that nobody is actually an expert in their major by graduation.

Useless…Those first four years you are just getting your feet wet anyway.

My nephew started at a PA state school and got a BS in health and phys ed with a coaching minor. Then attended Appalachian State getting an MS in exercise science and now working on phd in exercise physiology at University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill.

Yeah, I know what you mean about that, taking classes that have nothing to do with what you want to do with your life. I’m at a religious school right now, so I’ve had to take theology and philosophy, along with music and things that I have no interest in at all. How is taking “Listening to Music” going to help me in my life at all? It’s not. After you get those classes out of the way, I think the exercise science program here is a pretty good one. One of the guys on my team is doing his internship right now at training center with a bunch of MLB and NFL players.

Good luck with your season and career man, maybe when you guys come to Miami I’ll head over and catch a game or two.

LL is obviously correct. Undergrad generally only matters in very specialized fields; generally engineering or hard science degrees.

Ball State and UConn are highly rated graduate programs, I should add. Though I’m sure their undergraduate programs are also “highly rated.”

And as LL alluded to, there are some garbage research papers out there that get published because there’s tons of cronyism in kinesiology and biomechanics.

Box jumps and glute-ham raises seem to have done their job so far. Last Saturday I squatted 185 for 6 reps. Today, I did 205 for 6 reps and I felt so much powerful coming up off the box.