Slider

I’ve seen many different grips for a slider, the way I throw it right now doesn’t seem to be working. What are someways to hold a slider and also what are the mechanics to throwing it (i. e. wrist snap, stiff wrist etc)
I hold my slider like a cut fastball and I snap my wrist in a 3 to 8 type manner.

how i have been told to throw a slider is to throw it wtih the same action you use to turn a door knob. Its called the door knob slider. you hold it for a lefty on the left hand side of the U shaped part. It’s a really easy pitch to learn, but can be rough on your arm.

I learned the slider many moons ago from a Yankee pitcher who had a good one, and here’s what he told me: “Throw it like a curve, but roll your wrist, don’t snap it.” He showed me the grip, which is definitely offcenter with the index and middle fingers very close together and the middle finger just touching one seam, thumb underneath for support, then demonstrated the wrist action which is definitely easier than what one would use for a curve ball—and then handed me the ball and said “Go ahead, try it.” I got the hang of it in about ten minutes—the fact that I was a natural, honest-to-gosh sidearmer made it easier for me, and I spent several months working on it and refining it. I added the crossfire, which made that pitch truly unhittable, and it became my strikeout pitch for twenty years! It’s actually easier to throw and to control than a curve, and many pitchers who can’t seem to get a handle on said curve will do very well with the slider.
And there you have it, guys. No need to lose sleep over that pitch—just follow the above directions. :slight_smile: [/code]

I learned the slider many moons ago from a Yankee pitcher who had a good one, and here’s what he told me: “Throw it like a curve, but roll your wrist, don’t snap it.” He showed me the grip, which is definitely offcenter with the index and middle fingers very close together and the middle finger just touching one seam, thumb underneath for support, then demonstrated the wrist action which is definitely easier than what one would use for a curve ball—and then handed me the ball and said “Go ahead, try it.” I got the hang of it in about ten minutes—the fact that I was a natural, honest-to-gosh sidearmer made it easier for me, and I spent several months working on it and refining it. I added the crossfire, which made that pitch truly unhittable, and it became my strikeout pitch for twenty years! It’s actually easier to throw and to control than a curve, and many pitchers who can’t seem to get a handle on said curve will do very well with the slider.
And there you have it, guys. No need to lose sleep over that pitch—just follow the above directions. :slight_smile: [/code]

I used to throw a slider, but now it’s more of a cutter. I use it to set up my curve. I used to have a bit more velocity on my slider, but now it’s just a barrel-of-the-bat seeking change-up :wink:

Using a cutter allows me to spot it better. Also, the slider was tough on my arm. I could only throw about 10 per game before my elbow would tell me to stop. I mixed it in sparingly. I can throw curveballs all day and put them where I want. The cutter seemed to be a good option for me.

I still have very serviceable 4 seam, inward breaking 2 seam, slight down breaking cutter, a slow 1 to 7 and a fast 12 to 6 curve, and a down and to the throwing side breaking change up. Very formidable in my over 30 baseball league and more than enough to torment all the high schoolers I coach. :twisted:

Gosh, Coach Paul, didn’t anyone ever tell you about the crossfire?
When my wise and wonderful pitching coach was showing me how to short-arm my delivery (which gave me two ways to throw sidearm) he said, “And this is where you use the crossfire…And always with the slider.” He was telling me that my best pitch, that 86MPH hard slider, would be even more effective with that addition. You can be sure I picked up on that beautiful and lethal move, and I ended up using it with every pitch I threw, which further discombooberated, confused and infuriated the batters who struck out all the time! If you had learned to use that move, you would not have to worry about your slider; it would work very nicely for you.
And I never tire of telling this story about Allie Reynolds, just to illustrate a point: if you need a batting-practice pitcher, get a batting-practice pitcher and NOT a fireballer who can hit 100 MPH—or faster. The story is that Mr. Reynolds was at Oklahoma State, and because of his powerful arm he did very nicely in various sports, so the baseball coach asked him to throw some BP to the hitters. He said okay, and he got up on the mound—but what he threw to the hitters was NOT batting practice. He fired that high cheese in there, 95-100 MPH, and he struck out one batter after another. The coach looked at him for a minute and then hollered, “Go get a uniform! You’re on the team!” :slight_smile: 8)

It’s funny you mention it. I was a devastating wiffle - baller in my neighborhood. One pitch I made my signature was when I stepped at the RH batter and got my arm way out to the right parallel to the ground and released a side - spinning dervish directly at them which would seem to break over the plate precisely when they bailed out of the way.

I did use it sparingly in town baseball with good success, if not with the four feet of break I would get from the wiffle ball. The ball would break about 8-10 inches but seem to break two feet to the hitter. Sometimes, I’d throw it just to see how the hitter would react.

The one thing you definitely don’t want to do is doorknob/supinate it (like we did when we were kids) because this puts tremendous stress on the UCL. Pulling down the outside of the ball, preferably while pronating, should give it the ballistic spin, and minimize stress on the elbow.

1 Like

The doorknob thing is a bunch of balogney, don’t do that and especially don’t twist your wrist. Just throw it like a fastball. Grip it like a two seam fastball, but a little off center. Grip it on the long seam. Apply pressure with your thumb and index finger and allow the ball to roll off your index finger.

You mean “baloney”?