Slider

So I sort of want to get a new pitch going on but ive heard that a sllider is really bad on your arm. I am 15 and dont want to jack up my arm so is there any other pitches that would be good. Thanks

I would refer you to “Zita Carno”, but she hasn’t been active on here for awhile. Still try, though, and let me know if you can reach her though PM.

Knuckle Curve…best offspeed pitch ever!!!

At 15 your tendon and ligaments are still not ready for any pitch where the heel of your hand leads… circle change leaps to mind.

Ian

Focus on developing a changeup. When you are a junior or senior, then you can include a breaking pitch into your arsenal. Having a good changeup and fastball is a necessity for succeeding at the college level.

You comment of:

[quote]
At 15 your tendon and ligaments are still not ready for any pitch where the heel of your hand leads… circle change leaps to mind. [/quote]

What do you mean…a fastball leads with the heal of the hand, a circle change is just a fastball gripped differently but the hand action is virtually the same. Should you, at 15, lead with the side of the hand? The thumb? The ball? I don’t really know what your point is!

Probably should have said side of your hand, the part where you would perform a “karate chop.”

Told to me by an Ortho-Pedic surgeon who has seen way too elbow injuries.

Ian

If you are determined to throw a slider-you probably want to learn a curve ball first which would make learning a slider a lot easier.

With a curve, the ball will roll out of the little pocket of your hand and your thumb will probably be pointing back toward your ear-the ball will have over spin. With a slider your thumb instead of point back toward your ear will be pointing half way or at a 45 degree angle between you and the batter and the ball will spin like a bullet coming out over the first digit of your index finger.

With a curveball you want to think about accelerating your hand from high to low (within reason) a slider uses fast ball motion which is back to front and you want to flick it off your fingers-YOU DO NOT WANT to violently supinate your arm in a circular fashion -like you were turning the knob on a door-which will work until your elbow has PLENTY of bone chips in it-then pitching is probably done…not to mention tendonitis…from throwing any breaking pitch early…

Why s slider??? Well its 4th pitch and a good one-also some umpires have a very difficult time calling a sharply dipping/dropping curve ball for a strike-not so the slider (From Bagonzi’s book-and he is right) umps generally get the slider right.

Can you throw them both? Some guys can and others settle on one or the other. If you do throw them both you have to keep both pitches seperate in your mind, the mechanics are different-otherwise the ball hangs…

Ian

Tough to recommend anything without knowing what you currently throw. But if you don’t have a good change, that would be the thing to work on. Last January, I was at USC when USC’s head coach Frank Cruz was asked what he looks for in pitchers. He said the first thing he looks for is a good change. Does Cruz have the final say on all things baseball? No. But he is the head coach of a major Div 1 progam so that’s probably some good advice. :wink:

In my opinion the slider is less rough on the arm than the curveball. Im just saying this from personal experience.

my bro is 15 and has average velocity with good command. he almost only throws a fastball because it has such great cutting action usually you see guys with tailling action but hes always been a cutter pitcher… if he needs off speed he uses a change up like johan santana where you grip the ball with a spitter but with the index and ring finger instead of index and middle finger. you get good speed difference with such grip. and its fairly easy to throw.

One of the first pitches I teach a pitcher is a good changeup that leads to the circle change. It’s nasty when you throw it right. Just remember, the circle you make with your index finger and thumb, to throw the c at the catchers glove. Most pitchers just change their grip. The pitch isn’t in the grip; its in the wrist and forearm angle at release of the pitch.

good luck!

Hi! I’m back. I was off the site for several months because my stupid computer went pffft, and I had no luck with the new Windows 7—it just screwed me up even worse. Fortunately, I was able to locate a good Windows XP, and so I can now get back to what I’ve been doing—which is talking about my strikeout pitch: the slider.
First of all, forget all that negative stuff you’ve been hearing about it. In fact, the slider is actually easier on the arm and shoulder than even the curve ball. The problem has always been that a lot of people don’t know how to teach how to throw it properly, let alone throw it themselves. So let me say a couple of things about it.
I had a decent repertoire as a kid—a nice curve ball which came attached to my sidearm delivery; a good knuckle-curve; a palm ball (my first changeup), and I could change speeds on those pitches. The curveball and the knuckle-curve I threw with a sharp karate-chop wrist snap, and both pitches had a nasty break to them. Okay. Then, when I was sixteen I got very curious about the slider, which I had been hearing about and had seen thrown in games, and I thought that maybe I could ask one of the Yankee pitchers about it.
I went to a Yankee game, watched Eddie Lopat outpitch Bob Lemon, and suddenly it hit me that Lopat was the one I would need to ask about the slider. When I caught up to him after that game, I told him I just wanted to ask him something about the slider. His response was to draw me aside, away from the mob surrounding the Yankee clubhouse, and take some fifteen minutes to show me how to throw a good one. His instructions were: “Throw it like a curve, but roll your wrist, don’t snap it.” He showed me the offcenter grip he used—index and middle fingers very close together with the middle finger just touching one seam, thumb underneath for balance and the other two fingers curled up on the other side. And he demonstrated the wrist action, then handed me the ball and told me to try it. It took me a while to get used to the easier wrist action, but I got the hang of it in about ten minutes and then worked on it for several months. It became my strikeout pitch, and because I was a natural sidearmer I never had any problems.
So I would say to you—find a good pitching coach, perhaps a professional pitcher who throws a good one, and have him teach you how to throw it. 8) :slight_smile:

Zita…

It’s very nice to have you back. My son is a lefty and, because of his arm slot, finds the slider a much better breaking ball than the curveball. He doesn’t find any added stress (he’s 17 and a big boy…6’5" 242 lbs.). In fact, he finds more stress if he pronates on a change-up.

Zita,
Good to see you back. Looking forward to your great knowledge and words of wisdom. You were sorely missed.
Turn.