Slider

I decided to drop the curve ball as even though I get a lot of movement it’s just something I can’t control. Not only that even if I did throw it the only thing that is off speed is my change and it wouldn’t work in my opinion. So my question is how I throw it. I know the grip and I hear you pronate it. My problem is I hear you roll it. Can someone clearly explain with a video as I can not understand the rolling. I want to make this slider work. Also can someone upload a picture of a pitcher that use a slider like David cone, Ron guidry or steve carlton. It would be appreciated.

A lot of pitchers who have been having trouble with the curve ball will do very well with the slider, and you are probably one of them.
The slider has been described as a pitch that is not quite as fast as a fast ball nor as sharply breaking as a curve but that is easier to throw and to control than either of the other two—although the “hard slider” often comes close to fastball speed. It is easier on the arm and shoulder, especially if you throw it sidearm—as I did. I remember when I learned the pitch; the guy who taught me how to throw it was a key member of the Yankees’ pitching rotation, and he told me: “Throw it like a curve but roll your wrist, don’t snap it.” Because I threw my curve with a sharp karate-chop wrist snap, this meant that I had to ease up on it—just turn it over, much like a chef flipping a pancake or a crepe. I got the hang of it in about ten minutes, but I knew that I wasn’t going to master it overnight, so I worked at it for several months, and I finally got comfortable enough with the pitch to use it in a game.
The grip is an unusual one—very much offcenter, with the index and middle fingers very close together on the smooth surface of the ball and the middle finger just touching one seam, with the thumb underneath the ball and on a seam. And it’s absolute murder on batters who try to hit it. Just don’t let it hang over the middle of the plate! 8) :baseballpitcher:

Um I want to know the grip for steve carlton. He has it on his homepage but not anymore. Does anyone remember or have a picture of it. I like to know the different grips so I can get control or see the breaks which I want.

The grip I described is the standard one used by most pitchers. There are, of course, a few variations of it. My advice would be to experiment with them—try one or another. I never saw Steve Carlton or any of the other guys you mentioned throw one, so I couldn’t tell you just how they would grip the ball—but you can’t go wrong with the one I told you about. And you could even change up on it by loosening the grip a bit. In any event, it’s a very good pitch to have, and if you throw sidearm you can crossfire it. :slight_smile: