Slider (must read!)

I noticed on this site many 17 under people are throwing a slider.

[size=24][/size]DO NOT THROW SLIDER UNTIL 17-18. YOU WILL MESS UP YOUR ARM A CAREER. STOP RIGHT NOW

Make me ######
lol

I throw a slider. More of an 0-2 pitch. I use it maybe 1-2 times a start. IMO it puts more stress on the arm than a curveball, but I throw it sparingly, so no problems here.

i saw that you are a sophomore in high school and you said you throw a slider…you honestly shouldnt be throwing that, your ligaments and tendons arent ready for it…work on your fastball, changeup combo even if its already good, get better…also, you mustnt throw a slider right, becuase a slider puts way more stress on your arm than a curveball, your probably throwing a slurve or some variation of a curveball..id suggest you stop that pitch because your probably throwing it wrong…just my advice…i never threw a slider til this year and im a freshman at college and i had no problems getting into a good school

where do you go to college?

I grip it like the picture in “How to throw a cutter like Mariano Rivera” and I just turn my hand 90 degrees clockwise throughout the delivery, and just let it go. I throw it as hard as a fastball and everything, just slightly different grip and a turn of the wrist. I dont supinate though. I get a whole lot of run and sink, both pretty much equal. Is that the way a slider puts stress on the arm?

[quote=“Jacobs 21”]I grip it like the picture in “How to throw a cutter like Mariano Rivera” and I just turn my hand 90 degrees clockwise throughout the delivery, and just let it go. I throw it as hard as a fastball and everything, just slightly different grip and a turn of the wrist. I dont supinate though. I get a whole lot of run and sink, both pretty much equal. Is that the way a slider puts stress on the arm?[/quote]yup, have fun striking kids out now but when u get older, have fun having to have to throw it every pitch because your fastball wont have anything on it…ive seen this so many times, jus my advice tho, take it or leave it

So Im putting too much stress on my arm?

[quote=“Jacobs 21”]So Im putting too much stress on my arm?[/quote]thats what sliders do is put stress on ur arm

I throw technically throw a slider but all it is is a curve ball from a lower arm slot, so not all sliders are necessarily harmful.

Cripes, kid, in another current post you’re asking about cortisone injections because your elbow hurts and has been like this for 2 months.

If you can’t make the connection, maybe…never mind, self-editing here…

If your intent is to help others, than don’t encourage them to throw pitches that may have directly had a negative impact on you

its still a curve because it has opposite spin, all a slider is a cutter with side spin

“all a slider is is a cutter with side spin.”

?? What the heck does that mean? I’m tired of hearing people talk about sliders and not even know what a slider’s rotation looks like! Side spin is not slider rotation. Slider rotation is football rotation. Side spin is a sidearm curveball’s rotation with the fingers on the side of the ball. Big difference there.

what i ment was when you throw it you snap your wrist sideways down (kind of hard to explain) I know how a slider spins i used to throw one till arm pain was there and Bower told me to stop

Jack Bower (24) would be a good pitching coach… :shock:

i sure wouldn’t hire him might beat up players who give him lip :smiley:

You’re not throwing it correctly. The release should be somewhat like a football. Your hand should pronate after release. Hand and fingers should stay behind the ball until release. Pressure from the middle finger will cause the ball to roll off the index finger. The index finger is the last finger to touch the ball.

The slider differs from the cutter in that on a cutter, the ball will roll off the index AND middle finger at the same time.

A slider will/should have spiral-like spin. A cutter will have backspin that is slightly tilted. A cutter spin is the same as an opposite hand sinker, meaning a righty cutter will/should have the same spin as a lefty sinker and vice versa.

Here is a side-by-side of a sinker and a cutter. As you can see, they move in exactly opposite directions.

[quote=“xv84”][quote=“futureKazmir”]
[/quote]
I was at that game of those two gif.'s!

Sure looks like a back door slide piece to me…

this is a no brainer, you don’t need a slider as a HS pitcher, so why waste your time on it? Focus on fastball and changeup, because chances are you havent even come close to mastering those two pitches.