Slider Help

I am having trouble with my slider. At the point of release what should I do with my

shoulder,

elbow,

wrist,

fingers?

And are there any recommended grips?

i put my middle finger at the botton of the horse shoe. split the ball in half with my thumb, gently put my index finger next to my middle finger. apply pressure with the tip of my middle finger and throw like a fastball and it gets decent movement.

Long ago I learned the slider from an active major-league pitcher who was a key figure in the Yankees’ fabled Big Three rotation. His name was Ed Lopat, he was a southpaw who specialized in beating the Cleveland Indians to a pulp, ahd this is what he told me: “Throw it like a curve, but roll your wrist, don’t snap it.” The grip he used was very much off center, with the index and middle fingers very close together and the middle finger just touching one seam—what you’re describing is very much like it. Because I threw my curveball with a sharp karate-chop wrist action, he told me to just ease up on it. I got the hang of it in about ten minutes—but this is not a pitch you can learn in a week; it took me almost ten months to really get it down the way I wanted it, but once I had it I was able to use it in games. And it became my strikeout pitch.
So go to it, work with it till you get what you want with it—and remember, the slider, when thrown correctly, is actually easier on the arm and shoulder than anything else. :slight_smile: 8)

you want to roll your wrist and also with your fingers make a motion like turing a door knob