Slider grip

Hey everyone,

I have heard some different ways to grip a slider and one is to grip it like a 2 seam fastball on the seams, take your index finger off the ball, and put it next to your middle finger on the right hand seam(for a right handed pitcher). I also heard that instead of snapping it off like a curveball you want sort of supinate your wrist. As you can tell i have no idea haha please help!!

I’m back. As I said before—maybe I’m repeating myself, but there’s no harm in that, not when it comes to this pitch—you grip with both index and middle fingers very close together but only the middle finger is on the seam, and the thumb is on the bottom. I recall that when I would pick up a coffee cup or a glass or something I found myself using that grip! :lol: And there was an interesting variation of it that Ed Lopat told me about—you can use a knuckleball grip and throw the slider with it. He saw this done when he was in the AA Southern Association back in the early 40s, and he made a mental note of it and worked it up, and after the 1953 All-Star game he uncorked it. The batters started screaming—blue murder, not to mention arson, first-degree burglary, armed robbery, grand larceny breaking pitch, and every other felony they could think of. They couldn’t hit it for sour apples!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: And when I picked up on that and used it in a game a week later, you should have heard the opposing batters scream and curse and goodness knows what else, because they couldn’t hit it! 8) :baseballpitcher:

i guess the only question i have now is how do i release this pitch for it to be affective?

[quote=“Zita Carno”]I’m back. As I said before—maybe I’m repeating myself, but there’s no harm in that, not when it comes to this pitch—you grip with both index and middle fingers very close together but only the middle finger is on the seam, and the thumb is on the bottom. I recall that when I would pick up a coffee cup or a glass or something I found myself using that grip! :lol: And there was an interesting variation of it that Ed Lopat told me about—you can use a knuckleball grip and throw the slider with it. He saw this done when he was in the AA Southern Association back in the early 40s, and he made a mental note of it and worked it up, and after the 1953 All-Star game he uncorked it. The batters started screaming—blue murder, not to mention arson, first-degree burglary, armed robbery, grand larceny breaking pitch, and every other felony they could think of. They couldn’t hit it for sour apples!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: And when I picked up on that and used it in a game a week later, you should have heard the opposing batters scream and curse and goodness knows what else, because they couldn’t hit it! 8) :baseballpitcher:[/quote]im sorry but you keep coming back over and over again with your knucklebal grip to throw the slider and this is ridiculous and definetly not working. you can get a much tighter spin using the regular slider grip and thereof a much harder break, your pitch just sounds like a 12 year old inventing pitches in his backyard. theres no such thing as a magic way to grip a breaking pitch and you get devastating break, its all about timing, practice, arm slot speed and spin.

Oh. I see you’re back again—and, as usual, armed with all sorts of misinformation. I thought I made it perfectly clear that the different grip I used sometimes for the slider was NOT my idea, but you seem not to have gotten the message. Well, inasmuch as I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed person, I’m outa here, and I won’t be back because it’s people like you who drive my blood pressure through the roof. Goodbye—and good riddance.

No reason to be critical of anyone’s grip, 4pie, though it is feedback. You can grip a pitch anyway that you like, is comfortable for you, and works. Someone can grip a slider very loosely and get that good spin off of it. I grip a lot of my breaking balls very loosely but grip my fastballs tight, counter to what is usually taught. Everyone has a different sized hand, different sized fingers, etc. Whatever is comfortable and gives the desired result is great :slight_smile:

Check out Steve Carlton’s website and discussion of how he threw the slider here
http://www.stevecarlton.com/pages/home.html