Slide step/high leg kick

My coach wants me to pitch from the slide step becuase when i have a high leg kick, and all the runner steal on me. However, during the slide step i have no balance and accuracy when i use my momentum. i can only throw strikes when i throw the ball alot slower, and not use my legs for power. Do u guys have any tips to release the ball fast, while having balance and accuracy.
thank you

i hate the slide step but holding runners is crucial in controlling the game…

what i like to do is come set with a wide base (more than shoulder width) then to start the motion lift your lead leg up into your body and then plant into your normal stride length… making sure your hand seperation is quick becuase if its late your arm will lag and your balls will be everywhere…

idk the guys on my team do it and we are all under 1.3 (seconds) with our fastballs home and thats where coaches and catchers want you…

can u please go more in depth on this:
wide base (more than shoulder width) then to start the motion lift your lead leg up into your body and then plant into your normal stride length…

Check out this clip.

It “looks” like he’s not lifting his stride leg, but he’s actually lifting it WHILE he is dropping and moving his hips toward the plate. Experiment with something similar to this.

The earlier you start your hips forward, the more you can use a knee lift in your delivery and the more similar your stretch delivery will be to your wind-up delivery.

But showing a slide step once in a while helps keep the other team guessing.

[quote=“Roger”]The earlier you start your hips forward, the more you can use a knee lift in your delivery and the more similar your stretch delivery will be to your wind-up delivery.

But showing a slide step once in a while helps keep the other team guessing.[/quote]

Exactly. You can lift as high as you want as long as you start going forward with your lift. No reason to lift then go forward. I was 1.1-1.2 to the plate in college without a slide step. Don’t give up the potential energy created in your leg lift.

i use a slide step. the leg kick happens when u r moving to the plate

Here is another example of a slide step VS stretch.

If your coach makes you use a slide step, pay real close attention to what part of the body moves first in XV’s pictures. You should notice that those guys push their hips out first. That helps them build some momentum and it slows them down just enough to not disrupt their timing too much.