Slap tear in shoulder

I found out back in December that I have a slight slap tear in my pitching shoulder. I had no pain in my shoulder, the pain was on the right side of my back (scap area). I rehabbed my shoulder for 5 months through physical therapy. I gained full motion of my pitching arm. However I still have pain in my back with no pain in shoulder. I’m not sure what to do, do I get the surgery or play through the pain in my back? Anying feedback would be appreciated.

Playing through it will just make the tear worse. Slap tears are the labium, which is cartilage, it does not heal of it’s own accord. They may use ACP (Platlet therapy) to attempt to treat it, however surgery is the “normal” method of repair. Only a doctor can let you know what to do, I’d suggest you go to one who specializes in sports medicine.

Assume you had an MRI for diagnosis? I would make sure that Doc has extensive experience with injury type & if not seek a second opinion. No matter how good the Doc is, it’s sometimes impossible to know the extent of damage until they do the surgery. My son had shoulder issues last two years of HS & was alternately diagnosed with rotator cuff tendinitis & an impingement. Fall of college ball shoulder popped while long tossing followed by swelling & bruising. Doc originally thought slap tear & got MRI which turned up negative. He referred to a well known physician who was able to diagnose with bicep tendon subluxation at initial office visit. Was given option of injections & rehab & told it was 50/50 he’d be ready for upcoming season. Was given option but also told if he wanted to continue to play competitively surgery would probably be required at some point. During surgery they found that not only was the tendon slipping in & out of the groove the tendon was basically shredded. Luckily he had no damage to his rotator cuff so his was probably the best (if you want to call it that) of the shoulder injuries. His surgery was a bicep tendonesis which is same surgery required for a slap tear. Bottom line is they truly don’t know the extent of the damage until they’re in there. Wish we’d gone to the Doc who did the surgery while he was in HS to address. Not all Doctors are equal when dealing with these type of injuries, just make sure you’re seeing the right one.

According to the Stability/Mobility model of the body, joints in the body are alternately stable or mobile as you go from feet to fingers. If you injure a mobile joint, you protect it by limiting its use effectively making it a stable joint. Because you still need mobility to perform, this results in using the adjacent stable joints as mobile joints which over-taxes them possibly resulting in pain or injury.

In your case, you’ve injured your shoulder which is a mobile joint. The stable joints adjacent to the shoulder are the elbow and scapula and you say you’re having pain near the scapula. See where this is going?

Don’t play through the pain and risk further injury.