Size vs speed

What’s the average velocity for a 10 year old boy? He is 4 ft 3 in and weighs approximately 60lbs. His fastball averages 50-55 mph

This chart should help you.

One thing here, his fastball isn’t that fast

And he’s also 10 but is the size of an 8 year old. He has something the other kids in his age group don’t have and that’s accuracy and control. You can throw fastballs all day, but without those two things your fast ball isn’t shit

You basically answered your own question… It doesn’t matter. He’s 10. I’m betting you are just curious, and that’s fine, but seriously don’t worry about it.
Being able to move the ball around, hit his spots and change hitters eye levels is far more important to learn
young than velocity. He’ll grow, hopefully. You need velocity, but not at 10. And it can come from training and dedication.
Charts, especially those that come from some Velocity Camp, often measure speed out of hand. On the big diamond that on average translates to an 8 MPH drop by the time it get’s to the plate. Don’t know what it is on 46 or 50 ft distance, cause nobody cares. Pitchers who succeed have carry, the ability to maintain speed through the plate.
Some kids can throw really hard at a young age, whether it be size or just naturally great mechanics and separation, etc. Everyone get’s all excited about them because nobody can hit them, but that doesn’t always translate to later down the road for them. Sometimes, not always. The kid who maybe doesn’t throw as hard and gives up pop ups and ground balls that are hits now, are outs when he’s older and he throws less pitches per inning. A successful pitcher doesn’t need to blow hitters away, it helps, all those swings and misses, but those that do that are called short relievers.

I bet I can guess the scenario with your son, often the team starts a real hard throwing stud, but by the third inning he’s gassed, and has given up several runs on walks and steals and his teams down 5 runs, etc. They go to your son, he calms everything down by throwing strikes, get’s some weak ground balls, a pop up or two and a strike out, next thing you know your teams back in the game. Worth his small weight in gold. But often goes unnoticed cause everyone is still awed by the first kid.

Seriously, don’t worry about it, he’s 10, he’ll grow. :wink:

PS. Sometime go watch the older kids, a legion game or high school… you’ll see pitcher that have real gas, and they still get hit hard, now days everyone can hit… not everyone can pitch.

Actually with my son it’s the opposite he’s their main man. He doesn’t run out of gas quickly and he’s consistent. His coach is happy with his change ups and trusts my son’s decisions on the plate. You were right though it was more or less curiosity. His coach is impressed because he freezes hitter at the plate and goes with his gut and knows when to throw a change up. Another thing is my son listens to his coaches and takes everything in and applies it. This is his second season as starting pitcher for Allstars and it’s hard not to get excited when you see him play especially for a kid who hasn’t been playing that long compared to his teammates. He started playing at the age of 8.

That’s the thing though. What u do at age 8 doesn’t mean anything. You keep throwing him like he is expect tj.