Size vs speed

What’s the average velocity for a 10 year old boy? He is 4 ft 3 in and weighs approximately 60lbs. His fastball averages 50-55 mph

This chart should help you.

One thing here, his fastball isn’t that fast

And he’s also 10 but is the size of an 8 year old. He has something the other kids in his age group don’t have and that’s accuracy and control. You can throw fastballs all day, but without those two things your fast ball isn’t shit

You basically answered your own question… It doesn’t matter. He’s 10. I’m betting you are just curious, and that’s fine, but seriously don’t worry about it.
Being able to move the ball around, hit his spots and change hitters eye levels is far more important to learn
young than velocity. He’ll grow, hopefully. You need velocity, but not at 10. And it can come from training and dedication.
Charts, especially those that come from some Velocity Camp, often measure speed out of hand. On the big diamond that on average translates to an 8 MPH drop by the time it get’s to the plate. Don’t know what it is on 46 or 50 ft distance, cause nobody cares. Pitchers who succeed have carry, the ability to maintain speed through the plate.
Some kids can throw really hard at a young age, whether it be size or just naturally great mechanics and separation, etc. Everyone get’s all excited about them because nobody can hit them, but that doesn’t always translate to later down the road for them. Sometimes, not always. The kid who maybe doesn’t throw as hard and gives up pop ups and ground balls that are hits now, are outs when he’s older and he throws less pitches per inning. A successful pitcher doesn’t need to blow hitters away, it helps, all those swings and misses, but those that do that are called short relievers.

I bet I can guess the scenario with your son, often the team starts a real hard throwing stud, but by the third inning he’s gassed, and has given up several runs on walks and steals and his teams down 5 runs, etc. They go to your son, he calms everything down by throwing strikes, get’s some weak ground balls, a pop up or two and a strike out, next thing you know your teams back in the game. Worth his small weight in gold. But often goes unnoticed cause everyone is still awed by the first kid.

Seriously, don’t worry about it, he’s 10, he’ll grow. :wink:

PS. Sometime go watch the older kids, a legion game or high school… you’ll see pitcher that have real gas, and they still get hit hard, now days everyone can hit… not everyone can pitch.

1 Like

Actually with my son it’s the opposite he’s their main man. He doesn’t run out of gas quickly and he’s consistent. His coach is happy with his change ups and trusts my son’s decisions on the plate. You were right though it was more or less curiosity. His coach is impressed because he freezes hitter at the plate and goes with his gut and knows when to throw a change up. Another thing is my son listens to his coaches and takes everything in and applies it. This is his second season as starting pitcher for Allstars and it’s hard not to get excited when you see him play especially for a kid who hasn’t been playing that long compared to his teammates. He started playing at the age of 8.

That’s the thing though. What u do at age 8 doesn’t mean anything. You keep throwing him like he is expect tj.

Here’s some good advice…don’t listen to Salty… you probably weren’t anyway.

Pitching in All Stars is nice. Little league has rules for pitch count. Make sure you follow that.

When it comes to Travel ball, be careful not to overwork the young man. Teams that throw him a lot, and he plays little league or what not, can cause over use. Good travel teams have lots of pitchers and the kids often only throw 3-4 innings max. It is not uncommon to see kids swap out every two innings.

Lots of good advice here (for the most part). It’s so hard just to sit back and enjoy watching your kid play at this age. You start getting so excited about getting to that next level that you miss out on what’s going on now. I’m not saying this is happening with the OP, but I’ve seen it and been guilty of it myself.

The key for kids who have success early on is to make sure they continue working hard on their skills (hitting, fielding, base running, pitching, etc). I know quite a few kids who had early success and didn’t work as hard as the other kids and got passed by somewhere between their freshman and sophomore years in HS. Keep getting better every day because there is always going to be someone gunning for your spot!

That chart is not a very accurate I don’t think. There are MANY and I mean MANY D3 and even a few D2 Pitchers who throw 80-83

I think a few others captured what I’m going to say, but I’ll give it a shot anyway. First I’d like to offer this analogy. Clocking a young pitcher is like making young girls weigh themselves. There’s no need to be self-conscious, focus on the success and not the number.

With a young player I’d start with control… this means throwing… A LOT. It means getting past the “aiming” phase and the player trusting their body. Once a pitch and location is selected there should be no more thought and simply second nature. This is also best done when they’re young and don’t have the strength to wreck their arms. Work with fastballs and focus on hitting the catcher’s glove wherever it may be (over the plate isn’t good enough). I happen to disagree with the little league pitch count philosophy. It’s backwards… let the young kids throw more and restrict them as they get older, stronger, and more susceptible to injury.

After control I’d work on endurance. Can the pitcher throw at or near the same velocity at pitch 0 as pitch 100? There might be a slight 1-2 MPH dip, but there should not be a dramatic decrease. Why? Because this means they’re not throwing with every last little bit they have, something that is bad in the long run. If they need to reach down for a little extra it’s there (relief, situational, etc). A relief pitcher throwing 1 inning should be able to put an extra MPH or 3 on the ball because of the endurance work.

Next start working on other pitches. Once the arm is conditioned and control is becoming second nature it’s time to teach curves, sliders, cutters, sinkers, several different change-ups, grip experimentation, knuckle balls, etc. This is also the time to look at fastball movement (grip, finger placement and how the ball leaves the fingers). Everyone will have a hated pitch (it’s going to hurt the child’s arm). I would augment that to say ANY pitch will hurt a child’s arm if they are throwing incorrectly. See what works for them and heed any warning signs. Ask them how they feel and work to fix or eliminate pitches or motions that create repeated injury. At minimum mastery of a change-up and one additional pitch is ideal. If the child is a natural they will likely pick up most of them to some degree.

What about velocity? Do you want to be a Nolan Ryan and likely blow your arm or a Greg Maddux and be a master? Yes it’s important, but proper fundamentals will get them most of the way.

I pitched varsity HS and had an offer to play D3 college. I turned it down because I was never going to have a career in baseball. My Sr. year fastball peaked in the mid to upper 80’s 2 weeks in… but at 6ft 155 lbs to start the season I’d drop to 140 at the end of the season. My fastball followed suit and 80-82 was it. I was successful because I had pinpoint control of 4 (arguably 5) pitches and knew how to get in the batter’s head.

Last, find someone who really knows how to teach throwing and pitching if you don’t. Conditioning is good and becomes important when they hit puberty to build strength. Finally, realize that MLB covets pitchers that hit the magical 90 MPH… but there have been plenty of successful players throwing 86-88 MPH. Virtually all MLB hitters can turn on a 100 MPH fastball… it’s the other pitches that keep them in check.

Good luck!

I agree, I think these days coaches and parents focus way too much on velocity, especially velocity of kids who haven’t even hit puberty. Instead, they should work on having solid and repeatable mechanics, because if they do not have good healthy mechanics it will be both difficult and potentially harmful to gain velocity.

I hope your son enjoyed his 10u season. Most parents find out pretty quickly that their kid isn’t the big fish they thought they were once they start playing for a travel team. There really are a lot of talented kids out there.