Size a factor?

Would it be safe to say that size plays a factor in pitching? I’m a senior in high school I’m around 5’8 120 pounds or so and top out around 75-78mph mph. I just feel that no matter how good someones mechanics are if you don’t have the size you wont be able to throw as hard as a huge 6’4 200lb guy. I know someone might say look at tim lincecum but to me 5’11 180lb( i believe thats how big he is) is pretty big and he is a genetic freak. I think there is just a limit when it comes to someone my size and how hard they can throw. The “ace” of my varsity team is roughly 5’10 and 165lbs and throws 85-87mph and he’s a kid i’ve played with my whole life and until sophmore year I always threw harder than him. We were always the same size till sophmore year when he passed me up in size and velocity. I have a chance to pitch at a local d-2 school after high school and the coach said it would really help me if by the time I got there i could throw 83-85mph and I just don’t see it happening unless I get bigger which isn’t easy cause I’m one of those kids that can eat and eat and eat all day long and not gain an ounce. I am coming off of tommy john and my arm feels great and im sure i will gain some velocity just from my arm getting back into shape from not throwing for a year or so. I’ve been throwing for around 3 months and my arm has gotten stronger just in this little time.

Size has something to do with velocity, those are just the facts. Timmy L is a genetic freak you’re right. But size is not everything, it has to do with mechanics, fast twitch muscle fibers and all sorts of other things.

Try to do a lot of anaerobic workouts (lifting weights) not too much to where you hurt yourself but build some muscle mass that will help you gain weight, but make sure to work on explosive workouts what build fast twitch fibers like box jumps and what not.

Seriously size isn’t everything I’m 6’ 207 and I can’t even touch 80, I haven’t been clocked in a long time due to a lack of throwing space and a gun but last I remember I was only in the 70s.

Size probably does have something to do with it. Nothing you can do about the height. However, by how much you said you weigh, you need ot put on some muscle. My son is between 5’8" and 5’9", but weighs between 165 and 170. End of last summer, he was throwing 86.

Get yourself on a weight lifting program. Not just any program, but one designed for pitchers. The big thing you don’t want to do is a lot of exercises where you are lifting heavy weights above your head, or bench presses with a straight bar. Do a lot of low weight, high rep exercised for your upper body and work the stink out of your legs. You will get alot of power in your drive to the plate if you really strengthen your legs.

Do an internet search for pitchers weight lifting programs and hit it. Keep throwing, make sure your mechanics are sound. Don’t give up yet. Good luck to you.

You know, I have a sneaking suspicion that you have not yet reached your full growth. Some guys hit a growth spurt later on and don’t reach their full height until they hit 19 or 20, so don’t give up. However, you do need to put on some weight, and you would do well to eat more in addition to some good workouts.
And even if you have reached your full height, don’t worry about it. Not everyone can be a Bob Feller or Vic Raschi or Bob Gibson, to name just three fireballers—but there are a lot of very, very good pitchers these days who, while they don’t exceed 90 miles an hour, are effective because they have good stuff and good control and command of it. So stick with it. :slight_smile:

Nolan Ryan was 155 lbs when he signed. Size doesn’t matter when it comes to velocity. Proper throwing mechanics actually do play a big role when the majority of your momentum is going toward home plate and your stride is at least as long as you are tall you gain proper momentum. Momentum, in the right direction, brings velocity.
In pitching, or any sport for that matter, you are only as strong as your weakest link. Since pitching requires total body strength, elasticity etc. It is imperative that you participate in a pitching specific workout program. your core plays a major role iin your workout program because it is the hub that connects everything together. Good luck!