Sinker

I get a lot of outs with ground balls because I don’t throw very hard, but I have a 2 seam, 4 seam, cutter and a good circle change with movement. However, I’d like to learn to throw a sinker , but I’m not sure of the grip. Or, should I just use finger pressure and try to make my 2 seam move more? I find it moves more when I drop my arm a little, even though that’s not good mechanics.

its just a 2-seamer with alot of movement, but when i throw i turn my wrist as if were throwing a screwball but not completely and pressure index finger and move in ur middle finger closer to ur index finger hope that helps a lil bit

True…But turning the wrist is known as a doorknob curve(when throwing a curveball) to cause arm problems so it shouldn’t be used very often if at all

i perfer thorwing the splitit its my payoff/double play pitch

its type nasty

http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=ViewDo%3A+How+To+Throw

shows about ten videos about how to thorw pitchs then shows what they should look like

very good

I’ve always heard that a good sinker is just a good two-seamer that has more 12-6 movement than most. There are kids on my team who just naturally have alot more movement, and others have to work at it more. If everyone could throw a sinker like Kevin Brown when he was with the Dodgers there would be alot less homeruns hit and alot more groundballs the problem is not everyone can get the good “sink”.

[quote=“Paul Magion”]i perfer thorwing the splitit its my payoff/double play pitch

its type nasty

http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=ViewDo%3A+How+To+Throw

shows about ten videos about how to thorw pitchs then shows what they should look like

very good[/quote]

can a splitter hurt your arm? I’ve heard it could just because of throwing it with your fingers in that position.

According to Tom House, it is important to keep the thumb centered beneath the two split fingers. He claims (probably based on all the high speed video analyses is does) that letting the thumb creep up the side of the ball towards the index finger creates a tendancy to twist the wrist and that’s where the problems come from. So, center the thumb and don’t twist and you should be ok.

This motion (e.g. pronating) will not damage your arm. In fact, it will protect it.

I don’t think so, as long as it’s thrown like a fastball and you do not supinate (twist clockwise) your wrist to get the break.

jeez… on this forum i see u guys saying," oh yes a screw ball is in fact very healthy for ur arm :o , because u are not supinating like throwing a curveball because that will damaged ur elbow", then i guess its not healthy when u throw it with a lil bit screwball type movement to give it more sink

Ok, this sounds stupid, but since this is a sinker board i thought id tell you guys. My best pitch is my sinker. But its not like the sinkers you guys are talking about. Mines about 50 MPH, about 20 slower than my fastball.
And it has insane drop. I struck out a guy on one looking that started at his eyes and went to his knees into the mitt.
I dont know why this happens, and i know it sounds farfetched. I hold the ball like this. Have the horseshoe facing away form you with it narrowing towards you, then i put all four fingers on the horshoe seam but only like the tips, exactly how youd put them for a knuckleball, and i put my thumb directly under the ball centered–and i just throw it. I dont understand how this works, but maybe you guys do…?