Signaling signs to the catcher

OK. Let’s just say that I want to signal the pitch to the catcher from the dugout. In addition, I would like to signal in location, both vertically and horizontally.

For example, 132 would be a fastball down the middle…1 being the fastball, 3 being center of plate, and 2 being “strike zone” high.

What would be the best method?

Thanks in advance.

What ages are the players?

High School

My biggest question then is, why aren’t you having the catchers and the pitchers call their own game…they are just robots if all they are doing is throwing what the bench asks of them. There will be a few times that you want a particualar pitch but how about getting your catchers to have the same phillosphy as you do and trust that their call of the game will be right on. Hopefully you have a few that will play at the next level, well they need to be the smarter ones too, what to throw, when and why. They are only going to learn it by doing it.

Then the catcher can just indicate fastball (1) and location with pointing to a position. A Few adjustments are in order with baserunners on.

we have one coach signal location and I signal the pitch. We have 4 locations bill of hat-lowaway nose -high away chinlow inside ear high inside. for pitch we go by number of touches with right hand. 1 touch fast ball 2 touch curve. We will also signal pitch by touch of spot. bill of hat fastball,nose curve …

Our coach does the first and last touch system to signal our catchers. Like the first touch tells the catcher the pitch(i.e. rim of hat=fastball, nose=curve,etc.) and the last touch shows location(hat is up, chin is down, each ear is outside/inside)

When Yogi Berra was learning how to catch, the manager was in the habit of calling all the pitches from the dugout—and in the major leagues such a manager could well be accused of micromanaging. The pitchers didn’t like this. They wanted Yogi to see the game through their eyes, not the manager’s—and one day Allie Reynolds told the rest of the staff that he would break Yogi of that habit. He did so, and from then on it was Berra who would call the pitches.
When I played, many moons ago, I had a very good catcher who knew my stuff and what I could do with it, and so he would call the pitches. There were two exceptions: one, when there was a runner on second, and two, when I was going to crossfire a pitch (I was one of those exasperating, infuriating sidearmers)—in those two instances I would call the pitch myself. No problem. All he had to do was position his mitt and wait for the ball. Also, on one or two occasions when I had to work with a substitute catcher (like the time when my regular catcher had to spend the whole day at the dentist’s office with a screaming emergency), I would tell my catcher-for-the-day that I would call the pitches. Again, no problem.
And all our manager had to do was sit back and enjoy my strikeouts. :slight_smile: