Sidearm/submarine mechanics

Hey guys I play college ball and this summer I was consistently 86-88 but now at school for intersquads I’m topping at 85…I already throw from a low 3/4 ARM slot but I was wondering if you guys think I would be more effective dropping down to sideaarm or maybe even submarine seeing as I’m not a velo guy anyway.

Thanks

Don’t worry about your velocity—you’re throwing in the mid-to-high 80s as it is, so you’re all right. Let me see now—you’re throwing from a low 3/4 arm slot, right? Nothing wrong with that—but if you’re thinking about dropping down further, sidearm would be the way to go. This is the easiest and most natural arm angle, and it puts no pressure on the arm and shoulder because the elbow is on a level with the shoulder. And you would have an advantage pitchers who throw from other arm slots would not have—the crossfire, a beautiful and lethal move that works only with the sidearm delivery.
When I played, I was a natural sidearmer. I threw with a long-arm (full extension) delivery, and my pitching coach showed me how to use the short-arm motion, which gave me twice as many pitches. The crossfire, by the way, will work with any pitch. And here’s how you do it.
You go into the windup, or the stretch, whatever—let’s say you’re a righthander. You take a step toward third base, whip around and fire your pitch from that angle, so it looks to the batter as if it’s coming at him from third base. (If you’re a southpaw you go via first base.) There are a lot of pitchers who use, or have used, that move, and it drives the hitters crazy. And whatever you do, remember these words of wisdom: move the ball around, high, low, inside, outside, change speeds, and STAY AWAY FROM THE MIDDLE OF THE PLATE! You deon’t want to give the batter anything he can hit. 8) :baseballpitcher: