Sidearm Pitching Maurice McPherson 16 yr Old

Last year in the summer

http://profiles.berecruited.com/cgi-bin/showprofile.pl?action=ShowProfile&section=M&id=381365&movie=81900713

Me pitching a week ago at a tournament in Michigan

http://profiles.berecruited.com/cgi-bin/showprofile.pl?action=ShowProfile&section=M&id=381365&movie=57025581

Tell me what u think.

A couple questions for the good of the order:

1. What caused you to change your arm slot from sidearm to a little higher 3/4?

2. I see you like to establish the outside corner and beyond. What do you do when the hitter is disciplined and won’t swing at the outside pitch? What do you do if the hitter crowds the plate and leans into it looking to hit the opposite way? What do you do if the umpire won’t stretch the stikezone an inch to a few inches outside?

3. What do you do when runners exploit your delivery?

4. Have you ever been told that your hips and shoulders don’t have much separation?

Nice videos and I can see you’ve got a plan.

1. The shift from sidearm to 3/4 came from me playing quarterback in between baseball seasons and playing the field waaay more than I was pitching, but it still gets down there every now and then.

2. When the hitter won’t swing at the outside pitch I usually come in with a curveball or slider. If a player is leaning into the plate I come in with 2 seams. When the umpires don’t call the outside stuff I love to use curveball to catch the batters looking outside.

3. When there are runners on 1st and 2nd I use a slide step so they don’t get a good jump.

4. Yeah I have noticed that lately but I think that has something to do with my hamstring injury. I’ve been struggling with my stride and bending at the waist since and I think thats another reason why my armslot is higher this year.

I’m going to make a wild guess and assume you are a second baseman. Feel free to tell me I’m wrong. Your shift from sidearm to 3/4 could benefit you if you feel comfortable making use of both arm slots during a game. Not knowing where the release is coming from could give you an advantage.

You might work on a four seam that rides up and in…ocassionally moving the batters feet is a good thing. It will help set up your outside corner.

Adopt a few more variations. Hold the ball in the stretch until the batter calls time. Then next pitch, come set and deliver the ball immediately so that the runner can’t time you. Throw over to the bag and don’t show your best move until you think you can get him. Just step off every once in awhile to keep him honest. Work on a pitch out with the coach and the catcher. The more you work on this stuff in practice the better you will be in a game. Remember that you will never be better in a game than you are in practice if you get my drift. The best defense for runners on first is …DON’T LET THEM GET THERE!!! NO WALKS.

Take care of the hammy…it’s something that can become acute meaning it happens from time to time without warning. Along about now you are starting to decide what kind of pitcher you will be. Are you a power guy that can throw it by for stikes or do you want to finese them into early outs. At this point the latter seems appropriate. Keep the ball moving and change speeds and you should have a nice junior year.

By the way, my son attended a Baseball Factory event at Dublin Jerome HS so I know the area. Brings back memories. :slight_smile:

I’ve seen a lot of pitchers who use, or have used, different arm angles, and it can be advantageous if you can do it. Ever see Orlando Hernandez—El Duque—when he was pitching? He threw every which way but standing on his head, and when he really had his stuff the batters didn’t know what to do.
Dino—your advice on how to deal with runners on base reminded me of the day when Ed Lopat spent a whole morning with me on just that. He had asked me how I was doing in that department, and I had told him that I thought I had a problem, first because I was righthanded and second because I didn’t have much occasion to work from the stretch—not as a starter anyway. So on one gloomy Sunday, with the weather threatening, he showed up with a first baseman’s mitt (he had, in fact, started out as a first baseman in the minors), and we worked on various aspects of holding runners on, ranging from the bump on a log—the guy who wasn’t going anywhere—all the way to the definite threat to steal. We practiced various kinds of pickoff moves, throws to bases other than first, you name it.
And on another occasion he showed up with some guys whom he said were kids he had rounded up to be infielders and another one with a bat to hit fungoes and line drives and such, and we spent a highly productive afternoon on PFP—pitcher’s fielding practice. I got more out of that one afternoon than most pitchers do in a whole season! And then he surprised me: those weren’t kids, he said. They were a few of the Yankees’ second-line infielders, and he felt I would get a big kick out of taking some infield practice with them. He reminded me that when a pitcher steps off the rubber s/he becomes a fifth infielder and has to be able to do all the things infielders do, and I never forgot that. :slight_smile: