Sidearm Curve

My son, many of you have seen his pitching videos, is trying to add a curve to his fastball. I have been trying to teach him to throw it just as a overhander but from the side - (instead of a “C”, it would be a “U” from the catchers point of view.). He threw one that hung then broke a good 3-4 inches then down then could never get throw it again.

Most of the time, the ball looks like a bullet spinning right at me. I can see a red dot in the middle of the ball and is does not move. I tried the little league curve which says you point your finger at the catcher when you snap but he is getting more frustrated.

He threw the other day and had 3K, 2H and rest were ground outs over 14 batters. After they get used to his pitch, they key in on that fastball and drill it. He tried a change but it floated (second hard hit).

I picked up the curve quick but I never tossed it from the side and tried today and sent the ball spinning like a top in one direction.

Has anyone found a way to teach or have picked up a curve from the side? Maybe slurve or slider?

He is 12 throwing from 46’.

I tried to see what his “bullet ball” is and I get mixed results from a Backup Slider, Gyro Ball, Junk Slider (one that never breaks).

Thanks!

Why go to the curve next? 12 year old kid needs a solid change up next not a curve ball!!!

[quote=“buwhite”]Why go to the curve next? 12 year old kid needs a solid change up next not a curve ball!!![/quote].

Couldn’t agree more, I love a curve but I think people tend to think they NEED one before they establish a good change-up. I think a very good change-up is under rated and it will be the first pitch I teach my kid! You can basically get away with a good fastball, and an average offspeed pitch if you can throw a very good change-up for strikes IMO…

Im not going to argue at all. I stayed away from the curve and worked on location and consistency. He throws a 4 and a 2 seam and the two seam is slower. He has tired other variations but zero control so he stays with the 2 seam to slow it down some.

I recommend the palmball. This was the first changeup I acquired, and it’s a good one—easy to throw and to control, no strain on the arm because you throw it with the same arm motion and the same arm speed as you do a fast ball. For this little honey, you grip the ball way back in the palm of your hand with all four fingers on top and the thumb underneath for support—but don’t grip it too tightly, because you don’t want to squeeze the juice out of the ball! You can change speeds on it by loosening or tightening the grip.
You can also experiment with the circle change. That one is usually thrown with the thumb and index finger on one side of the ball forming a circle, the third and fourth finger on top of the ball and the pinky on the other side—or all three fingers on top—and if your hand isn’t quite large enough to form the complete circle you can use a backward “c”. Again, you throw it with the fastball arm motion and arm speed.
These are two standard changeups, and you would do well to master one or the other before going to any other breaking pitch. Most kids of that age need just a fast ball and a changeup. The curve ball can come later. It won’t run away. :slight_smile: 8)

My 2 and 4 seam fastballs aren’t really different speeds, the 2 seam just moves more and the 4 seam I can hit the exact spot I want to more.

he is a sidearmer and he doesnt throw a 2 seam. its so easy. just let the ball roll of the fingers the greatest pitch to throw a same sided batter

I was a natural sidearmer, and not having a fast ball to speak of I had to go in the other direction and acquire quite a few breaking pitches! Some I picked up on my own, from reading about them and figuring out the most effective way to use them, and others (like the slider) I learned from my incredible pitching coach who seemed to know more about pitching than anyone else. Of course, the important thing was control and command of all those pitches, and I caught on to that pretty quickly and learned to take full advantage of them. One of my favorite discombooberate-the-hitter pitches was the so-called “slip” pitch, which at bottom is a hard slider thrown with a knuckleball grip, and I had several of those to choose from, so in effect I got four or five different pitches out of that one.
And the crossfire! I fell in love with that delivery, and I used it extensively, a fact which was not lost on my pitching coach. One day he was helping me with the circle change, and he said to me “I know you’re going to crossfire it. You use that move with everything you throw.” :slight_smile: 8)