Side of the rubber

There’s a D1 player I used to talk about pitching with, and he told me that standing on the glove side of the rubber will make it harder for similar handed hitters to pick up the ball off you, and you’ll be more effective against them. He said this is because you release the ball behind them.

Does anyone here know if there’s any truth in this?

The same player also advocates long distance running, so I’m hesitant to take his advice. It does seem a little off, Beause the rubber is even with the plate and the batter stands to the side of that.

Isn’t that backwards? I would think that if you stood on the pitching arm side of the rubber it would look like its coming from behind the batter for Lefty on Lefty or Righty on Righty because you are moving your pitching arm more behind the batter.

I agree with MH.

I’ll add that starting position on the rubber can affect posture and, therefore, release point and that might be the overriding consideration. You need to understand how starting position and stride direction affect posture at release.

Whoops. I meant arm side - typing error.

Wow, I never thought it made that much of a difference. And as he said it was backwards, I wasn’t paying attention.

Already been answered, and Roger has some excellent advice as always. If a pitcher throws right handed, I generally want him on the right side of the rubber. And if he is left handed, he should be on the left side. This position helps the pitcher stride in a straight line to home plate and also improves the angle of a breaking pitch from a RHP to a RHH, or a LHP to a LHH.