Side armed curve ball

hi i was wondering if you throw aa inside curve ball sidearmed to a lefty batter and you are a righty pitcher will there be more movement in the pitch?

Actually, I found that as a righty, my curve could easily be picked up by a lefty, especially sidearm and submarine. They can see the shape, and then they can judge it and turn it into bases. I developed a Chad Bradford-style screwball at one point (I was throwing very, very deep submarine then) which was very effective to a lefty. The mechanics are tough on your wrist and elbow, but it was effective all the same.

o ok. whats a submarine pitch?

Submarine is a style, and a sub pitch is a pitch thrown in that style. You know Bruyn-Hyun-Kim(sp) of the Rockies? Thats how he throws. And in the person above your posts display picture. At least, that what I thought it was.

Many moons ago…
I was a sidearmer, pure and simple, and I used both the long-arm and the short-arm motions which gave me twice as many basic pitches. In addition, I used the crossfire extensively—that’s a move that works only with the sidearm delivery—and nothing discombooberates a batter more than seeing the ball come at him from (in my case, because I was right-handed) third base. The best a lefthanded batter could do was foul off the pitch, and often he foul-tipped it right into the catcher’s mitt!
By the way—if I were you, I would go very easy with that screwball, regardless of what delivery you use. That’s a pitch that, if you throw it too much and too often, will literally screw up your arm, no pun intended. I remember one day I was talking about it with my pitching coach, and he asked me if I threw the screwball. I told him I didn’t, even though I knew how, and he said to me “Good for you. You don’t need it.” And if you must throw that pitch, I’d advise you to switch back to the sidearm delivery because it’s much easier on the arm. Just my two cents. 8)

what is crossfire

Good morning, kelvinp.
The crossfire, as I said, is a move that works only with the sidearm delivery—and here’s how it works. Say you’re a righthanded pitcher. You go in to your windup, or the stretch, as the case may be—and then you take a step in the direction of third base, whip around and deliver the pitch from that angle. (The reverse is true if you’re a southpaw, you step toward first base and deliver the pitch from that angle.) I first heard about it when Ewell Blackwell was using it; an injury forced him to alter his pitching motion and so he came up with this. I picked up on it and worked around with it, and one day I mentioned this to my pitching coach. The incredible Ed Lopat said to me, “Let’s see what you’re doing with it. Just go through the move.” I did so, and immediately he told me that I wasn’t getting quite the momentum going into it from the stretch the way I was from the full windup. Urp. I had no idea—and then I had to confess that I didn’t have much occasion to work from the stretch, not as a starter anyway.
He said, quietly and emphatically, “You’re getting the batters out.” And then he came up with a drill I could use to get the move up to speed from the stretch—it consisted simply of shortening my stride and taking two extra steps towards third. It didn’t take long before I got the speed I wanted. I had absolutely fallen in love with the crossfire, and I used it so much that one day when he was helping me with my circle change he said to me, "I know you’re going to crossfire it. You use that move with everything you throw."
I’ve seen it used in recent years. Remember Jeff Nelson? He used to use it quite a lot, and there are a few other sidearm pitchers who will go to it. It’s a nice move, and if you’re a sidearmer you can make very good use of it. :slight_smile: 8) :baseballpitcher:

i call it herky jerky
heard it on telecast some guy from the padres or bravs threw like that

imma try it
i throw low 3/4

Also another pitcher who is very obvious of this is Carlson for the Jays.
Very deceptive.

I saw League pitching for the Jays, and from like 3/4 he was throwing a high 90’s fastball (from a RHP) that started up and away from a RH, but came back in for a strike. The commentators called it crossfire. It was nuts.

Haha yeah. Thats what makes him my #2 fav pitcher. The arm angle he uses, his velocity, and his insane movement. I dont believe he could throw a straight pitch to save his life.

Wouldn’t that be a good thing? It’d be funny to see him throw a straight change to the scared batters standing out the back of the box, though.