Shut Down Period

So I have been shutdown after dealing with tricep tendonitis towards the end of my fall season (which ended this weekend). I was told by my doctor to shut down for 6 weeks with no pitching etc. I would have to look further into the report but I am wondering if anyone in this similar position, what did you do during these 6 weeks. For me, I plan to continue lifting but tryin to figure out how i can work on mechanics without throwing so I can keep my delivery once I finish the shutdown. Hope this helps.

Listen to your doctor and rest your arm. Tendonitis is only fixed with rest. Work on cardio in the meantime.

After 6 weeks get in the habit of doing a towel drill. That is have a towel in your hand instead of throwing a baseball and slap the towel on a chair.

1 Like

Be careful with this injury. I’ve had my share of strained tendons and ligaments. Pushing them when they’re hurt can significantly delay recovery.

That said, it’s a smart idea to keep working out – within reason. A good rule of thumb is: “Don’t move into pain.” Basically, any movement that produces discomfort from the injured body part should be avoided. If there’s zero discomfort, the movement isn’t straining the injury and is fine to do.

Staying active will also help get blood flow into the injuried tendon. Sprints, lower body and core lifts, upper body lifts that pull or push in directions that don’t implicate the injury. This is a good opportunity to “balance out” your physical conditioning in ways that ultimately make you a stronger pitcher.

As far as practicing your mechanics – that’s tricky. My guess is that any sort of delivery that’s worth practicing risks straining the tendon. Perhaps you could focus on lower body mechanics and eliminate the throwing motion. But you need to be careful not to develop bad habits.

If it were me, I’d probably skip mechanics until the tendon is feeling better. Focusing on strength and conditioning is likely to get you in the best shape to pitch competitively when you’re back in six weeks.

ek22,

“So I have been shutdown after dealing with tricep tendonitis””

If you perform the traditional and intuitive late Humeral/Forearm arrival approach where your arm fly’s outwards when driving supinated pitch types Like 99% of everybody else, you do not even use your Triceps to extend the Elbow because you’re Brachialis is firing off at this timeline to help in managing Hyper extension? This is one of the glaring breaks in the kinetic chain with the traditional approach!

I would suggest as with 100’s of cases I know of in the past, this is miss-diagnosed!

If you produce these pathomechanics expect severe inflation at the back upper Elbow, then splits in the hyaline cartilage then bone spurs growing thru the splits then break off giving you loose impediments that would have to then be removed.

Kinesiologically what is happening is you ballistically hyper extend your Elbow to end of range of motion where the bone ends crash together.

To immediately mitigate this pathomechanic you need to change from All forearm supinated pitch types to all Forearm pronated pitch types. You can throw all pitch types with forearm pronated techniques, you may all ready throw 1 or 2 near pronated types now?

“towards the end of my fall season (which ended this weekend).”

To bad you are forced to play or show and loose valuable training oppertunities correctly!

All our pitchers are deep into daily training regression and unable to compete or show from Aug. til Jan.

“I was told by my doctor to shut down for 6 weeks with no pitching etc.”

Is the pain at the top of your Humerus or at the Elbow end?

“ I would have to look further into the report but I am wondering if anyone in this similar position”

I deal with this problem a lot because it is persistent if you do not change what is causing the problem so I end up with these kids that are some what locked in to what they have been taught.

When they change the way the arrive (glove side foot plant synked with Humeral outwards rotation) then drive by forearm pronating all the stress on that area disappears then real healing can commence.

Get your Dr’s release and actually do something about this that is in your control

“what did you do during these 6 weeks”

learn all the pathomechanical mitigating principles taught by Dr. Mike Marshall. You build it!

Start his 120 day HS interval training program to re-wire your approach while training.

“tryin to figure out how i can work on mechanics without throwing so I can keep my delivery”

Understand it is your performed mechanics that got you where you are at!

“once I finish the shutdown.”

Your pain (inflammation) will subside in a week, stay with the Dr’s advise

Hope this helps.”

Got video?

Very sound advice and I agree, something is going on here and I would like to see video.