Shoulder pain at beginning of throwing

My son is not a pitcher he’s a SS, but when he first starts to warm up and throw his shoulder joint gets sore. Sometimes as he continues to throw harder the pain goes away. But sometimes the pain lasts the rest of the practice and the rest of the day. But by the next morning it’s fine. Do you know what this could be? Especially if sometimes it goes away as he throws harder, that sounds strange.

ceny2,

“My son is not a pitcher he’s a SS, but when he first starts to warm up and throw his shoulder joint gets sore.”

The shoulder depending on exactly where you are asking about front , back , top or in the middle needs to be treated properly with mechanics to avoid gliding problems in the shoulder.

The tenet taught by Dr. Mike Marshall about shoulder health is to at all times during wind up delivery and recovery is to have the Humerus stay in alignment with the acromial line (imaginary line that runs thru your shoulder tips) from start to finish.

“Sometimes as he continues to throw harder the pain goes away.”

He may have a loose shoulder capsule caused by ligaments being stretched on, these ligaments have no pain receptors so he will not know it until something with pain receptors is then being perturbed.

“sometimes the pain lasts the rest of the practice and the rest of the day.”

He should quit throwing until this thing is figured out by an Ortho who knows this area.

When he gets a Dr’s release he needs to be taught how to make the arm arrive correctly at the back by always keeping it in alignment with the shoulders, this will have your player learn how to follow his throws with rotation so he can also recover his arm in line with the shoulders.

“ But by the next morning it’s fine.”

Youth players repair very fast, especially if they keep lightly stimulating same area

“Do you know what this could be?”

Your player is a short Stop that demands throws from all kinds of angles and all kinds of efforts.

He needs to understand when he gets a quick clean pick up that he corresponds with a classic true Crow step maximal effort throw where the Elbow pops up, not pulled down and incorporate full follow rotation 180 degrees by staying tall thru out. His arm should recover back on the field driveline hovering over his ball arm side hip, not across his chest and abdomen.

Two comments here. First, he should warm up to throw - not throw to warm up. So, before he touches a ball, he should do his arm circles, elastic tubing exercises, etc.
Second, he needs to make sure he’s using good throwing mechanics (stable posture, glove side control, etc.) during his “warm-up” throws. Too often I see coaches send their kids out onto the field to play catch at the start of practice and it’s unsupervised so the kids end up practicing bad habits.

Sometimes the body will orient itself into a better throwing position and clean up the throwing mechanics when making a harder throw. I’ve seen the same thing happen when throwing weighted balls.

The first thing to do is have your son checked out by a sports med ortho and take care of any medical conditions.