Should You Shut It Down or Keep Throwing

It’s coming to the end of the season for many. The question I am throwing out there is, do you shut it down or do you keep throwing. I have my thoughts on this subject and I think you can do a little of both, but I would like to hear from others just what you do.

I think it depends on whether i have a purpose and how i felt towards the end of the season, Pitch count of course also is a factor. Usually i try to meet in the middle, shut down for anywhere between 2-6 weeks and start right back up again. Although i’ve found the amount of time i shut down for has varied greatly since my UCL sprain. No senseless throwing is done on my part after starting up again, alternating between Weighted balls as well as general Long toss programs and the such (Jaeger in particular). If i felt that my workload was very light during the season i’ll just forego the shutting down and go straight to arm care.

Explosivepitching,

“It’s coming to the end of the season for many. do you shut it down or do you keep throwing. ”

What biological age group?

It is recommended by the leading expert in the world on Sports physiology and overhead throwing Dr. Mike Marshall that youth pitchers 13 and under shut it all down at the end of their 3 mo. Spring competitive championship season and go do something else (periodize) until they start non-adrenaline assisted training training 90 days before the next championship competitive season starts in the spring.

No more than 3 consecutive months of adrenaline assisted competitions a year. no more then 1 time thru the lineup at any time until you are biologically 16.

This is why a biological age assessment needs to be made at chronologically age 13, to determine when training increases should occur. There is a 5 year spread between late (delayed) maturing arms and early (advanced) maturing arms. Most pitching coaches do not recognize this fact when dealing with the public, so it never becomes a consideration.

Same for 13 thru 16 accept they can slightly increase their off season training timeline.

When your elbow growth plates solidify in the elbows at biologically aged 16 you can now train more aggressively. This age group will compete thru the summer and then should shut it down in July.

When they turn into Adults (biologically aged 19 when the last major growth plate (PHGP) solidifies in the upper shoulder) they can train year round if they do not perform pathomechanically.

For every day you shut it down, you loose 1.5 days worth of previous training fitness. Atrophy is much faster than Hypertrophy.

If pitchers are talked into participation in show cases and camps during the fall and winter they never go into consistent training regression, then suffer from their lack of fitness when Spring roles around again. If you are training correctly, you will not be able to perform competitively and if you do it will show.