Should Pete Rose be in the hall of fame?

Vote in the poll and discuss…NOW!!!
I vote yes.

There is only one other figure in professional baseball that deserves enshrinement in the HOF more than Pete Rose. Shoeless Joe Jackson.

Shoeless Joe’s lifetime batting average was more than 50 points higher than Pete Rose and 12 points higher than Ted Williams !!!

Shoeless once hit .408 !!! Banned for his failure to rat on the other members of the 1919 White Sox who threw the World Series, he still hit .375 during the series, made no errors, had one outfield putout and a home run. Shoeless was a scapegoat for Major League Baseball and so is Pete Rose.

The arguement is made that no one player is above the integrity of the great game of baseball. Let me ask…what is the current status of the public’s trust in Major League baseball? There is more skepticism regarding players today than ever existed in Shoeless Joe’s time or Pete Rose. Absolutely no damage would be done to the game if both of these guys were admitted to the great hall.

The baseball hall of fame has never been a good housekeeping seal of approval on character. Ty Cobb anyone? Murder?

It is what it should be…a recognition of one’s performance in the skills of the game. What were Pete’s grievious offenses? Gambling on sports and tax evasion. One necessarily begats the other. Given the recent economic events and the hit that your mutual funds just took, you might be a little more forgiving about the tax evasion thing. Pete Rose spent time in jail for these things and now should be “square with the house.”

And finally, because I know this is going to come up. Well, what about the steroid users like McGuire, Sosa, Clemens, and on and on…The use of steroids goes directly to the quality of performance on the field. Not only did this use enhance their careers, but like ying and yang it simultaneously robbed others of their opportunity to perform on the great stage. In my mind, Shoeless Joe and Pete Rose are mere juvenile delinquents compared to the capital offenses of A-Roid and the likes.

If we could just get the youth of America to inject one ounce of Pete Rose hustle into their veins, an ounce of his commitment, grit and determination; could they just put down their Wii, playstation, PSP in exchange for a game of pick up baseball; we could continue to claim our share of the pie in the great game of baseball worldwide. Pete Rose going in to the hall of fame is the least of our worries.

Totally agree, Dino. If Pete Rose is allowed, Shoeless Joe should get the nod, too. Just don’t think it’ll ever happen in our lifetimes.

[quote=“Dino”]There is only one other figure in professional baseball that deserves enshrinement in the HOF more than Pete Rose. Shoeless Joe Jackson.

Shoeless Joe’s lifetime batting average was more than 50 points higher than Pete Rose and 12 points higher than Ted Williams !!!

Shoeless once hit .408 !!! Banned for his failure to rat on the other members of the 1919 White Sox who threw the World Series, he still hit .375 during the series, made no errors, had one outfield putout and a home run. Shoeless was a scapegoat for Major League Baseball and so is Pete Rose.

The arguement is made that no one player is above the integrity of the great game of baseball. Let me ask…what is the current status of the public’s trust in Major League baseball? There is more skepticism regarding players today than ever existed in Shoeless Joe’s time or Pete Rose. Absolutely no damage would be done to the game if both of these guys were admitted to the great hall.

The baseball hall of fame has never been a good housekeeping seal of approval on character. Ty Cobb anyone? Murder?

It is what it should be…a recognition of one’s performance in the skills of the game. What were Pete’s grievious offenses? Gambling on sports and tax evasion. One necessarily begats the other. Given the recent economic events and the hit that your mutual funds just took, you might be a little more forgiving about the tax evasion thing. Pete Rose spent time in jail for these things and now should be “square with the house.”

And finally, because I know this is going to come up. Well, what about the steroid users like McGuire, Sosa, Clemens, and on and on…The use of steroids goes directly to the quality of performance on the field. Not only did this use enhance their careers, but like ying and yang it simultaneously robbed others of their opportunity to perform on the great stage. In my mind, Shoeless Joe and Pete Rose are mere juvenile delinquents compared to the capital offenses of A-Roid and the likes.

If we could just get the youth of America to inject one ounce of Pete Rose hustle into their veins, an ounce of his commitment, grit and determination; could they just put down their Wii, playstation, PSP in exchange for a game of pick up baseball; we could continue to claim our share of the pie in the great game of baseball worldwide. Pete Rose going in to the hall of fame is the least of our worries.[/quote]

Agreed Dino, great statements. I mean Shoeless Joe hit .400 his rookie year if I remember right, and how can the all time hits leader NOT be in the hall of fame.

Another guy who should get in is Eddie Cicotte, he was with the black sox scandal too and he was the inventor of the knuckleball and had some pretty impressive stats too.

In my opinion, if you let Pete Rose and Shoeless Joe Jackson into the Hall of Fame, you should be open to letting McGuire, Clemens, etc., also in.
One for all, and all for one. (Or is it, one for all, and every man for himself?)
Deal out the same punishment or reward to all those who did something wrong in baseball.
If you would like to ban McGuire from the Hall of Fame for using steroids,
then maybe you would like to erase the homerun race between him and Sosa that brought baseball back onto the national stage.
Are steroids worse than scuffing the balls?
What makes it more of an offense to take steroids than to doctor the baseball?
I do not believe that players should take steroids,
but I am saying that I do not believe steroids should be treated differently than other offenses.
If baseball players who take steroids are suspended or banned in baseball, than players who did other things should also be suspended or banned.

[quote=“CardsWin”]In my opinion, if you let Pete Rose and Shoeless Joe Jackson into the Hall of Fame, you should be open to letting McGuire, Clemens, etc., also in.
One for all, and all for one. (Or is it, one for all, and every man for himself?)
Deal out the same punishment or reward to all those who did something wrong in baseball. [/quote]

It isn’t that at all. Remember, Pete’s problem didn’t have anything to do with his performance on the field, at least as far as I know. That’s a far cry from what amounts to cheating.

[quote]If you would like to ban McGuire from the Hall of Fame for using steroids,
then maybe you would like to erase the homerun race between him and Sosa that brought baseball back onto the national stage.
Are steroids worse than scuffing the balls? [/quote]

Did the same or even close to the same percentage of pitchers scuff the ball, as player that juiced?

Depends on when you’re talking about. At one time it was perfectly ok to do, but there came a time when it was made illegal. So, if you’re talking about a pitcher who’s career took place when it was legal, its one thing, but if the only reason he’s being considered for the HOF is because he scuffed balls after it was made illegal, that’s a different story.

[quote]I do not believe that players should take steroids,
but I am saying that I do not believe steroids should be treated differently than other offenses.
If baseball players who take steroids are suspended or banned in baseball, than players who did other things should also be suspended or banned.[/quote]

You’ve got a lot of larnin’ to do if you equate taking steroids with scuffing a baseball. :wink:

No to Pete Rose.

That’s what you get when you compromise the integrity of the game. Same thing goes for Bonds and his cronies.

Depends on when you’re talking about. At one time it was perfectly ok to do, but there came a time when it was made illegal. So, if you’re talking about a pitcher who’s career took place when it was legal, its one thing, but if the only reason he’s being considered for the HOF is because he scuffed balls after it was made illegal, that’s a different story.

I was talking about those who scuffed the ball and put stuff on it when it was made illegal. If it wasn’t illegal, it would be legal, right?

[quote]Depends on when you’re talking about. At one time it was perfectly ok to do, but there came a time when it was made illegal. So, if you’re talking about a pitcher who’s career took place when it was legal, its one thing, but if the only reason he’s being considered for the HOF is because he scuffed balls after it was made illegal, that’s a different story.

I was talking about those who scuffed the ball and put stuff on it when it was made illegal. If it wasn’t illegal, it would be legal, right?[/quote]

All right boys I’m goin out on a limb…but I’m throwin…this is the most confusing wandering search for a thought I’ve seen on LTP and I gentle people believe with all of my heart that it is completely worthy of note and acclaim…what say you the devotee of this august forum???

I answer with a resounding and heartfelt…HUH???
What???
Huh?
Just classic… :shock:

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:
We are not worthy

If I had to decide today I would say yes to Pete Rose and no to the steroid abusers.

At this point in time I think they are two completely separate issues.

This is just my opinion.

I think yes, good guy that made a mistake…we will be arguing about ARod, McGuire, Sosa and so many more in 10 years…they are all part of Major League Baseball and should be honored that way.

It’s like what somebody said on the “effectiveness poll” thread,
everyone has their own opinion.
:roll: