Should my son slow his pitching speed? 13U

My son plays on a 13U AAA team. His fastball is clocked constantly at 74mph. Change up sits around 62-66mph and he has a curve but not allowed to throw more than 3 a game and that is around 65mph. He doesn’t pitch that much since we have many pitchers on the team so wearing his arm out isn’t a issue. He gets to pitch once every 2-3 weeks and usually 2-3 innings.

The last outing there was a comment “from the stands” that he should “Slow down, he is throwing way too fast”??? I thought wtf, you don’t want to slow down your mechanics. He can throw faster but sticks around 90-95% when pitching. He will drop into ~70-72 when really wanting to hit a corner but these people want to see him throwing in the 60’s…

Has anyone heard of this before???

The last outing he pitched 3 innings, had 6 strikeouts, 1 walk and no earned runs.

I was trying to find some information on why you don’t “slow down” your mechanics or pitch. His 2 seam/4 seam, change up and (very little thrown curve) all have the same arm slot and velocity.

SO back to the question again, Shouldn’t he throw in the 90-95% power range and not back off? If anyone has any articles or information I could send to the “stands” it would be most helpful.

thankyou.
dallasshock

Somebody should take those yoyos in the stands aside and give them a good verbal shellacking.
One of the cardinal rules of pitching is that you have to maintain the same arm motion and the same arm speed regardless of what pitch you may be throwing. To do otherwise is to telegraph your pitches and let the batter know what’s coming. If a pitcher wants to slow down a pitch he will do it with the grip—loosening it up, for example, or holding the ball a little further back in his hand. Either one of these will slow down the pitch. But to slow down the arm speed? That is a no-no, and I’ll give you an example from my own experience, when I was playing.
We were facing a team called the Green Sox from the northeast corner of the Bronx, somewhere up near where the Bronx ended and Westchester County began. Their starting pitcher had a beautiful slow curve, one of the prettiest I had ever seen, but the stupid boob was telegraphing it! He would twitch his elbow in a peculiar way when he was going to throw it, and he slowed down his arm speed. I was watching from the bench, and I saw this, and I alerted my teammates to this fact—and you can be sure they knocked him out of the box in the third inning, scoring six runs! This happened every time he was pitching against us—didn’t his manager or coach or what- have-you ever take him aside and tell him? SHEEEESH!
So there it is. I repeat—NEVER slow down the arm motion or the arm speed. Use a different grip to slow down the pitch, but you have to maintain that arm speed if you don’t want to let the batter know what’s coming. Throwing too fast, my Aunt Fanny! :shock: :stuck_out_tongue:

Now was this person from the other team? It makes no sense. The only thing I can even think of “some helpful soul” thinks his delivery isn’t long enough (Maybe thinking perhaps he’s not picking up the target…just getting and going without focus)…other than that I’d tell them how much I appreciate the input and go on with my business. If they want to coach they can certainly volunteer.

At 13 I was throwing a similar velocity. I would definitely never tell him that he should intentionally try to throw slower. He throws that fast because his body can handle it. I think you should be cautious and listen to him when he tells you that his arm is sore/hurts… but dont tell him to not throw as hard. If you do that, eventually… He just wont throw hard naturally. If you want him to throw hard in the future, encourage him to throw hard (but under control). I believe that people throw hard because they train themselves to throw hard. If he trains himself to throw slow, he will throw slow.

Now was this person from the other team? It makes no sense.

No it was the mom of the catcher on our team. LOL I think she was afraid my son would “hurt him”. We have a issue with catchers right now not wanting to catch him.

I wouldnt worry about hurting the other kids. I always had a problem with playing catch with kids cause nobody wanted to. When you get to a higher level, if the kids cant catch your son then they shouldnt be playing baseball. It is part of the game, and especially if they are catchers they should enjoy catching fast pitchers.

Buy that catcher a cookie…and a skirt…Tell his mom that there is an opening on the ballet team and he may be able to get there if he hurries.
I think I’d be having a whole bunch of fun with this.

I think sometimes the game of baseball suffers from “silly-speak” - you know, senseless jargon that is thrown out from the stands or the dugout just because they’ve heard it a million times before.

In this case, it is possible that the reference was to the fact that perhaps your son was speeding up his time in between pitches as opposed to actually “throwing too fast”. You hear coaches all the time telling their pitchers to “slow down, take a breath”, etc. Maybe this mom was just repeating what she had heard before and was using it out of context?

In any case, I think your son can move even faster to the plate. Never slow a kid down unless it is affecting his timing/mechanics. A pitcher should move as fast and explosively to the plate as possible while still maintaining proper body positioning and timing.

Watch how fast Derrick Turnbow moves in this video:

The faster he moves (with control), the more explosive he becomes and this translates into more momentum to the plate, which equals more velocity.

Throw as fast at your son can handle, there is no need for slowing down. I’m 13 and i pitch mid seventies to high seventies. Just tell your son keep it going i’m sure hes doing well on the mound don’t let anyone tell you other wise.

[quote=“dallasshock”]Now was this person from the other team? It makes no sense.

No it was the mom of the catcher on our team. LOL I think she was afraid my son would “hurt him”. We have a issue with catchers right now not wanting to catch him.[/quote]

I hear this all the time from LL kids and coaches. The issue is the other kids are afraid of getting hurt 'cause they’re weak on catching. Our last game my son fired a rocket from 2nd to 1st on a double-play attempt. The 1st basemen jumped out of the way of the throw, which was headed right towards his chest! Yup, you guessed it. The kid yelled throw it easier. He pitches at about 75% of what he can throw, which is enough at this level to get the hitters out and keep the catcher happy. But in the field, he throws at 100%. It’s definitely a problem in LL, but I would hope this wouldn’t be the case as the kids get better.

How big is he? From the video he looks like a pretty big boy.

I thought he looked really good.

[quote=“KCDawg”]How big is he? From the video he looks like a pretty big boy.

I thought he looked really good.[/quote]

He is 5’ 8.5" 190#. He is soild too, not fat on him. starting to make me think he can take me at 13 LOL

Wow, he is a big kid! He’s pretty tall, but his weight is what is really surprising. I was a big kid, but I didn’t hit 190 until my senior year in high school and was over 6 feet tall. You’re right, though, he looks solid, not fat or heavy.

My son is 13 (January birthday) and he is 5 feet tall and weighs 87 pounds. He has hit 64 before, but he cruises in games right around 60 and his change up is 53-55. He’s got a good arm and mechanics, so hopefully when he puts some size on him he’ll amp up the speed. On the bright side, he has great movement and control.

As for slowing down, a kid on a AAA team had better know how to catch 74 mph or he won’t be there long.

[quote=“dallasshock”][quote=“KCDawg”]How big is he? From the video he looks like a pretty big boy.

I thought he looked really good.[/quote]

He is 5’ 8.5" 190#. He is soild too, not fat on him. starting to make me think he can take me at 13 LOL[/quote]

Do the same parents also ask “what do you feed him?” :lol: We get this question all the time along with throw the ball slower.

No way have him slow down his pitching. The crowd should have no influence on that what so ever. If he is only thirteen and touching mid 70’s he should be getting scouted by some high schools at least. Now if he starts throwing a lot have him back down a little because at that age his arm is still developing. I’m a submarine pitcher so i know a little bit of what i’m talking about lol. You might want to also look at moving him up a level as well if he is doing that good in the AAA division. Just remember if he starts throwing a lot to cut back a little bit but if he’s only throwing 1 time every 2-3 weeks yeah throw the gas!

What High school coaches that have seen him always ask what school, district and age he is. Funny a few have commented that there are some houses for sell in their area. lol.

The team he is on right now uses him more for his catching and uses him as a closer. He was clocked today at 76 m.p.h on his fastball, changeup was at 63 ish.

Thanks for the comments. He just wants to play as best as he can and seeing these comments got him focused on not worrying about others. :slight_smile:

The boy puts out 100% all the time and everytime on the field. What more can a father ask for :slight_smile:

Thanks all.

why would you slow him down. you arent tiring him. hes pitching 2-3 weeks. insane. not even complete games. why why why.

why would you want slow your speed down. not throwing every five days or every week. or complete games. :?

Throw the ball with whatever speed you feel comfortable and can repeat the action. If it was the other team then it’s probably one of those teams that still has cupcakes and juice boxes after the game.

We had a team that we were playing against in a tournament upset that we kept stealing etc. We didn’t try to run it up but it was just the way it was, the cupcake team just needed to take the spanking and move on, you never know when a game turns around and they take it from you.

So you gotta keep throwing it hard.