Should i give up

Hi, iam not sure who answers this question but here it goes. I recently purchased the tuff cuff book for my work outs. Iam 21 years old, turning 22 in February 2, I stopped playing baseball when I left school, the reason I did that was because I had terrible shoulder pain and had noboddy to talk too, I felt so bad because to me baseball was everything, when I got on the mound I didn’t care about anything problems at home, school, girls, or the Guy I was facing at the plate, I just wanted to win the game and that’s what I did win games, but after my shoulder pain I felt lonely, I had no attention to me so it was easier to leave school. Now its been 4-5 years and I know I could have done so much more playing ball, what i want to know is it to late for me to give it another shot at baseball or just accept reality and work?

Have you ever seen the Rookie? It’s never too late.

It’s never too late but it depends on your commitment.

No way is it too late. But you have to be realistic in your commitment and your goals.

As buwhite said, it depends on your commitment. It isn’t going to be easy. You’re definitely going to have hard work and disappointments along the way. You’re going to have to deal with it and push forward.

Good luck. Let us know how you’re doing.

The kind of regret that comes from within, in other words, missed opportunities can be hard to live with. I speak from personal experience. You have to be very honest with yourself. If you need the attention of others or others to push you not much will happen. I think you also have to be realistic in what goals you set. There are plenty of guys who miss time because of injury or whatever, sometimes, several seasons in a row and keep plugging away. If your depressed or whatever get that straightened out as those sort of issues can ambush your motivation. 22 is not old, but, you do have to make up for lost time. Work harder than you have ever worked, dont skip days and dont cheat your workouts. George Foreman (as he was pursuing the heavy weight title at 40+) said “You need to do your road work when no one is looking.” No one was scoffed at, laughed at or made fun of more than him. His point was, it doesnt matter what someone else thinks of your goal is, you need to get off your butt and do your work. Work smart and work hard, stay focused and positive and see what comes of it. If you do this you dont know what may happen. We all know what comes of doing no work. Good luck.

At what level do you want to take a shot?
Have you got your shoulder fixed?
Were you a good high school pitcher?

I worked out quite hard and got stuck in the low 80s. I would run until the cows came home and worked hard in the gym. I squatted more than 400lbs, benched 300 and deadlifted 500. Did many other exercises as well.

My understanding is that it can take alot of trial and error to get things that work for you in terms of velocity improvement.

Looking back i didn’t train correctly and lacked really good coaching. A site like this can be helpful and I would encourage you to post your clips frequently for comments. I spent too much time trying to get faster and stronger and not enough time throwing and refining my mechanics. I don’t think you needed to be as strong as I got to pitch.

Happy New Year,

Ed

No way is it too late. If your desire is there, give it a go.

If you work hard, develop a pitching strength training program, and throw on a consistent basis, you can reacquire your skill set. But like I said, it will a long and difficult journey, but not an impossible one. Just be dedicated everyday to getting better, and you will do great!

First things first get your shoulder checked out to see what was/is going on in there.

Once you know how physically sound your shoulder is then sit down and honestly figure out what you want to try and do with Baseball and what level you want to try and play at. At age 22 and you haven’t played in 4 or 5 years you are old and behind compared to a College Senior or MILB player who has been playing pro from the time he was 18/19 or even from age 21 so you have a lot of work to do if you want to try the pro route.

If it was me I’d get in the gym get back and shape get some lessons and get an honest opinion from the instructor or hit up an open try out and see where you stack up and what one of the scouts have to say about you and go from there.

The biggest thing is be honest with yourself so that way at the end of the day you wont be dissapointed no matter how it turns out.

Best of luck and please keep us posted.

Stranger things have happened, but if you were stuck in the low 80’s you may not have the capability to get to the magic number of 90 MPH.

Baseball is a tough game. Its a good game to teach you about life, but its going to kick you in the nuts.

I have been where you are, after done playing I was lost. The feeling of being on the mound is the best. You can always coach if you want to stay involved in the game.

The other direction you could go is get your shoulder looked at get 2 to 3 more MPH (after slowly working back) and go to college to play - even if its just for a year.

I would get the idea of pro ball out of your head and just take it one step at a time, shoulder fixed, rehab and slowly work back to throwing, then college. Then take it from there.

Ive spent more hours at the ball park in the last 35 years than I can count, if I had spent that much time doing just about anything else, it would have been much more beneficial. Its not for the faint of heart.

Who answers?….You answer it eric22!

Like it or not, everything we do is finite, nothing lasts forever. You have to know if the whole thing is a romantic notion or if you truly won’t be satisfied until you get back on the mound.

Knowing when it is over is different from still wanting to do it. You can live an efficient motivated life by making these decisions without allowing yourself to get bogged down. Otherwise your energy is being consumed by reoccurring doubts about the future.

I’m not sure who said this but I like what it implies:
“You can’t keep blaming yourself. Just blame yourself once and move on.”

Welcome back, Dino!!

Thanks Roger ! Let’s just say it was a much needed lengthy sabbatical. Lots of hunting, fishing, reading and solitude. :redecoration: I’m sure I’ve never used that emoticon.